Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Legal advice for purchasing a property in Quesada

Legal advice for purchasing a property in Quesada

Postby Liz & Gordon » Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 pm

We are over in Quesada for a third visit in June to look at properties to purchase for our semi-retiremet we also have two small dogs we intend to bring over, we have seen properties we like but seem to spend time worrying about appointing good trusworthy legal advisors ,if we could eliminate that worry Iam sure we would purchase.
Has anyone else experienced similar concerns?
Liz & Gordon

Which part of Spain are you from?: Scotland

Re: Legal Avice

Postby Dot » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14 pm

When we bought 12 years ago I was very wary but if yoy have good lawyers its fine ,we bought a second property 6 years ago, and found our lawyers very good yet again, we use Aroca but I,m sure the forum shall give you.some other good ones as well..
I,m sure you will buy and very much enjoy.
Dot
Dot

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo marabu

Re: Legal Avice

Postby matt7 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi Liz and Gordon the Abogado i have just used to buy a larger property is Filomena Rufete opposite the gamma supermarket in quasada,
Pilar speaks excellent english and keeps you informed throughout the process.
If you are interested i am about to put my 2 bed 2 bath villa up for sale when i go over in june due to the new purchase
if you need any details message me
matt7

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: Legal Advice

Postby Jan » Wed May 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Hello Liz & Gordon,
We used a big company called Abaco when we bought in Spain and were pleased with everything they did - Everything went smoothly.

We also use them as our Fiscal representative to sort out our taxes and Suma and they have done that for the last 8 years, since we bought our property. It puts our mind at rest that we are paying everything correctly and we find them very helpful and their website and email service is brilliant. They also did our Spanish Wills at the same time as our property conveyance which was handy.

You can read all about buying a property and what they do on their website and you you also email them to ask about prices etc - They always get back to answer questions and speak good English:

http://www.abacoadvisers.com/conveyancing

You will no doubt get lots of recommendations but the good thing these days is you can see websites and find out what they are like at answering emails / questions, before you decide.

Hope this helps.

Jan.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Mickey Braw » Wed May 07, 2014 10:54 pm

It seems that people love Aroca or they hate them.
The quotes below are from another forum*, there are many more in the same vein. Personally, I would steer well clear of Aroca. I post the quotes as a word of warning*.
If you do some research you'll find a number of lawyers in the area who will be highly recommended, by many.

*Edited by Admin to removes quotes 07/05/14
Mickey Braw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby nikki&graham » Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi Liz and Gordon

we were just as worried when we decided to buy last June. Luckily I had some legal contacts in the uk as I used to work for a new build developer.
We used Maria Perez of Cavendish Legal in London - our agents advised us against using someone in the uk as they wouldn't be in Spain and able to deal with local things. Maria has a contact that dealt with anything local Jaime Aniorte, he also came with us to the notary on completion to translate and help us. Personally we preferred to use someone completely independent. We would definitely recommend Maria and Jaime. As Dot has said there are many people on the forum that have been through the same thing and I'm sure they will give you some more ideas. It can be a stressful time, but is all well worth it in the end, honestly. We completed in march and love our little piece of spanish heaven. Good luck with everything, any info you need just ask on here, everyone will do their best to help.
nikki&graham

Which part of Spain are you from?: pueblo bravo

Postby Dot » Thu May 08, 2014 7:04 am

Who did you use Mickey Braw?
I really can't fault Aroca they have been our fiscal reps for 12 years and we also have our wills with them ,they have been most helpful, I suppose there will always be a for and against with all lawyers.
Dot

Postby marcliff » Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 am

Oh, dear. I suppose Aroca would be fine if everything went well. If you have a problem, they would be the last ones to use. When we bought our first flat about 12 or so years ago, not only was there no habitation license there were also no deeds. Their rep told us this was "normal" and, being trusting, we thought OK and they said it would take about a month or so to get the paperwork. 5 years later, we decided to sell the flat and that's when we found there were no deeds, no habitation license and so on. The builder had taken out a mortgage on the land which they hadn't paid despite the fact we paid cash for the flat. Aroca took another 4,000 euros off us and 4 years to get it sorted. If they'd done the checks in the first place it would have been OK.
We finally got the all the paperwork, except the habitation certificate, 2 years ago. By this time, the flat was worth half what we'd paid for it but managed to sell it. Because Aroca had all the paperwork, we let them do the conveyancing. We were charged 3% of the selling price as a retention which you're supposed to get back when its proved there are no debts on the property. Guess what, we're still waiting. After several emails back in December they finally responded by saying it had been applied for and could take 3 months. 5 months later we're still waiting.
There are whole communities who bought from a company called Atlas which used Aroca as their solicitors around the El Galan/Villamartin area. Some still have no electricity, no water, no deeds and have been threatened with having their properties sold by auction.
Personally, I would avoid Aroca like the plague. Every time I go there I see people complaining.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Dot » Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 am

Oh dear that's not good, although at that time I tjink the builders all over were causing problems.
Dot

Postby Chris21 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:06 am

Just do your research and if possible check exactly what your 'legal representative' is. We are in the middle of a nightmare, we bought through Property Choice and used their recommended legal rep. Four and half years later we have found that 'the legal rep' wasn't what she was supposed to be, she has done a runner with the money she was given to pay the various taxes and register the property. So we are in the process of using a solicitor to chase things up on our behalf and get the house legal, and because we didn't answer letters, which we asked another legal representative/translator to do for us, we have incurred massive fines. We are now having to fight it all and it is proving costly. Sadly when you are back and forth to the UK, it seams we are easy prey to some unscrupulous people working within property sales. Apparently a number of people have been caught by the same situation as ours. Watch this space !.
Chris21

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Next