Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

UK TV - Market research.

UK TV - Market research.

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:03 pm

We are currently in negotiations with suppliers for different IPTV services.

My personal opinion is that it is all very well having 100's of channels - but these cost to host. Less channels, the more subscription costs can be reduced. If we review how many channels people really watch, i'd guess no more than 50 (opinions are welcome). Based on this i've cobbled together a list for a currently fictional IPTV service, which the target cost would be 20 per month inclusive. Presently unsure if this is viable, though just looking for opinions whilst we research the matter further.

Below are proposed channels. System would include catch up TV on most channels & 7 day program guide. Do you think below is worth €20 per month?

BBC Four
BBC One
BBC One HQ
BBC Three
BBC Two
BBC Two HQ
CBBC & Cbeebies (Kids)
CBS Drama
CBS Reality
CBS ACTION
Channel 4
Channel 4 HQ
More 4
Channel 5
Comedy Central GB
Discovery
Animal Planet
National Geographic
Dave
Watch
Film 4
ITV 1
ITV 1 HQ
ITV 2
ITV 3
ITV 4
ITV Be
ITV Encore
Sky 1
Sky 2
Sky Atlantic
Sky Action
Sky Comedy
Sky Family
Sky Premiere
Sky Sports 1
Sky Sports 2
Sky Sports 3
Sky Sports 4
Sky Sports 5
Sky Sports F1
BT Sports 1 & 2
Eurosport
Sky Sports News
SKy News
BBC News
Viva or VH1

+ Radio
Paul - TV Techie

Which part of Spain are you from?: almoradi, alicante

Re: UK TV - Market research.

Postby marcliff » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:27 pm

Obviously different people will have different views and tastes. For example, BBC3 (now on internet only) and ITV Be we never watch but the omission of 5 USA is a negative (IMO).
Quite a lot of those we don't watch but I'm sure many people do so it would be very awkward to leave much out.
And, yes, 20 euro a month is good value especially for dragging in the Sky Sports channels.

Forgot. What internet speed would be required? Here in Quesada we have many areas which can't get the faster ones available and are stuck to maximum of 3Mbs.
Last edited by marcliff on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Dawnandrob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:24 pm

No horror channel on there paul. Rob watches it daily. Not sure if it's horror channel or called something else. I would pay 20 just for Gillette soccer Saturday lol. Dawn.
Dawnandrob

Postby Jordy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Looks & sounds reasonable as long as they were always available & un-buffering.

Jordy
Jordy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Altos » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:37 pm

I recieve my tv through 1.4 dish and get most channels but recently lost Drama channel anybody know how I can get this now.
Regards Altos
Altos

Which part of Spain are you from?: ave Airoporto

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Looks & sounds reasonable as long as they were always available & un-buffering.

We only deal with stable systems, otherwise would not entertain. Our systems (existing) do not buffer. Buffering is usually caused by second rate internet service providers - who drop off speeds as don't buy in enough bandwidth to supply stable service to the amount of clients online during peak use periods. One or two are guilty of this. Those who use Android boxes are probably more used to buffering with the free streams, which is a completely different set up & hardware.

I recieve my tv through 1.4 dish and get most channels but recently lost Drama channel anybody know how I can get this now.
Regards Altos
should really be a separate thread....though while i'm here...

12129 V 27500 Drama, Yesterday & Really FTA. Had a few reports of weakness with this frequency in last few days, main affecting 1.4s. Our test 1.4 (Almoradi) seems to be fine, checked it up until 7pm last night, though some reports state it gets weak later - currently 5.45pm is stable. It would appear this signal is a little weaker, so if dish is not well aligned or possibly a little localised interference nearby this frequency (or combination of the two), might be enough to knock this signal. Some have said is stable earlier in the day and drops off - all reports so far have been in the main expat areas with microwave transmission masts?

No horror channel on there paul. Rob watches it daily. Not sure if it's horror channel or called something else. I would pay 20 just for Gillette soccer Saturday lol. Dawn.
Someone would pay for the horror channel!!....! :D Now I look at the list wonder if should put in SyFy...

Paul
Last edited by Paul - TV Techie on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - TV Techie

Postby Juanita » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:55 pm

We would be interested IF available all the time, excellent picture quality and no buffering. We currently pay for a sky card with subscription for Sky Sports which is very important to my husband. We try to watch BT Sport via an android box which is useless too much stop start wrecks viewing! OK for films though. Would dearly love to be able to stop paying over £50 for our sky subscription but at least we get uninterrupted excellent quality TV picture. By the way Syfy is missing from the list!!
Juanita

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:04 pm

We try to watch BT Sport via an android box which is useless too much stop start wrecks viewing!
Unfortunately this is one of the weaknesses of the Android boxes - the free sports channel streams. They simply are not stable enough. Too many people jump on the free servers, then the stuttering / glitching begins.

Ultimately Satellite HD is and will remain to be the highest standard - certainly with 4K coming. However a decent hosted IPTV service offers good quality, at a much reduced cost - with multiple service packages from different providers / satellites. Which is more than Sky can provide.

Marcliff - 2Mbps stable for SD no lower. HD 4-5Mbps. For those with poor / unstable internet, stick with satellite. You can always run simple test like watching filmon.

Missing channels - We already have packages with all of the missing channels mentioned - it is just we were looking to try to attempt an economical but premium (with some channels) package, removing a few channels to bring down hosting & subscription costs. Our full packages have 200-300 English language channels (other languages available), with catchup TV - though depending on package and subscription length cost between €20-€30 per month. Our aim with this package would be to offer a pay as you go type system from 1 month at a time, no contract and low subscription to boot - if we can manage to tie it all up together cost wise. If not we'll keep the packages we have as are popular - it is good to have new options - hence the market research on a few forums.

Paul
http://www.televisiontechnology.eu
Paul - TV Techie

Postby brownale » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 pm

sounds good to me fella.
brownale

Which part of Spain are you from?: formentera

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Looks like I have had our dreams presently quashed of a cheap premium package at 20 euros per month. Been advised not viable to deliver this type of content for less than 25 euros per month - which is at lest 5 euros in the right direction - they met us half way.

On the plus side, we have been told we can add some more channels to the proposed list above, so those being suggested can be added and all other channel comments we can also review - I have a deadline of next week to have the final channel list.

Service will Include 2 week catch up service as well as video on demand - free films etc. Pay as you go, 1 month at a time, no contract. Online 24/7 renewal. Will also allow a free 2nd subscription on different hardware - such as tablet, PC etc. Also apps for Android. All included.

Paul
www.televisiontechnology.eu
Paul - TV Techie

Next