Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Sabadell Bank - Spain and UK.

Sabadell Bank - Spain and UK.

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 am

Hi,
Does anyone have an account with Sabadell Bank in the UK and in Spain? If so does it work well for transfers between the two and is the on-line system good?

We know there is a branch in Pall Mall near Charing Cross in London and we are thinking of opening an account there now that our Spanish bank, Halifax/Lloyds, has merged into Sabadell.

Be really interested to hear any other experiences of banking between the UK and Spain with Sabadell.

:text-thankyouyellow:

Jan.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Re: Sabadell Bank - Spain and UK.

Postby JeremyB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Jan,

We bank with Sabadell in Spain and Barclays in the UK, for transfers between accounts we use Currencies Direct and get totally commission free transfers between accounts with much better exchange rates than the banks themselves offer. It normally takes 5 working days for the money to be credited but works fine and saves a lot of money. There are other companies offering the same service HiFX being one of them and I believe that they are just as good.
Sorry I do not answer your question exactly but this might be food for thought.
JeremyB

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Fiesta

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:53 am

JeremyB wrote:Hi Jan,

We bank with Sabadell in Spain and Barclays in the UK, for transfers between accounts we use Currencies Direct and get totally commission free transfers between accounts with much better exchange rates than the banks themselves offer. It normally takes 5 working days for the money to be credited but works fine and saves a lot of money. There are other companies offering the same service HiFX being one of them and I believe that they are just as good.
Sorry I do not answer your question exactly but this might be food for thought.

Hello JeremyB,

Thanks for that. I just looked up Currencies Direct and HiFX and the exchange rates are favourable. Also they both seem simple to use and all can be done on-line which is good for us. However, the website for HiFX was easier to find certain information that I couldn't find on the Currencies Direct site and it seems that to get the free transfer, the amount has to be £3000 or over. We only transfer about £1000 at a time and for lower than £3000 there is a charge of £9, which is no doubt cheaper than any bank would charge. Not sure if Currencies Direct is the same.

Will definitely look into this further as it certainly seems a good option on the face of it.

Jan.

PS Still be interested to hear from anyone about any experience with the Sabadell uk to Sabadell Spain transfers before we make a decision.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby JeremyB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:14 am

With Currencies Direct there is no minimum amount and no charges whatever the amount. I have sent as little as Euro 250 and no charges. Yes it is all done on-line as well as the Sabadell banking so it is totally manageable from the UK.
I believe that HiFX will waiver the fee if you speak to them and agree to send over regular monthly amounts. I have an account with HiFX but have never used them as I always find that the rate from Currencies Direct is slightly better, and I have used them once or twice a month and never any problems.
JeremyB

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am

JeremyB wrote:With Currencies Direct there is no minimum amount and no charges whatever the amount. I have sent as little as Euro 250 and no charges. Yes it is all done on-line as well as the Sabadell banking so it is totally manageable from the UK.
I believe that HiFX will waiver the fee if you speak to them and agree to send over regular monthly amounts. I have an account with HiFX but have never used them as I always find that the rate from Currencies Direct is slightly better, and I have used them once or twice a month and never any problems.

Thanks - sounds good and no charges for transfers is a bonus. Never thought before but monthly amounts could be easier and save the need to keep careful check of when funds are getting low....great idea!

Jan.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby Sandra » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 pm

We have an account with Sol bank (Spain) and send £150 out per month (via their London office) to our account.

We used to send money out via Nationwide - but this was very expensive! £150 is the minimum monthly amount that you can send out Solbank to Solbank without incurring a charge. We just have it set up on a dd, and judging from the conversion rate that we get it seems reasonably good. Not sure how it compares with any others. It has been hassle free and charge free! ;)

We also have an on-line account with them which is just as easy to get into as any English on-line account. We set it up when we were in Spain. We have had it for a few years, and were told that you had to visit the branch in order to "get the ball rolling" on the on-line account (and couldn't set it up on line) but things may have changed now about this.
Sandra

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Sandra wrote:We have an account with Sol bank (Spain) and send £150 out per month (via their London office) to our account.

We used to send money out via Nationwide - but this was very expensive! £150 is the minimum monthly amount that you can send out Solbank to Solbank without incurring a charge. We just have it set up on a dd, and judging from the conversion rate that we get it seems reasonably good. Not sure how it compares with any others. It has been hassle free and charge free! ;)

Yes I like the sound of that, especially the hassle free. :dance::clap:

I checked on the money-supermarket website and they compare exchange rates for transferring money and I noticed Nationwide was not one of the best!

Jan.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby tonyhobbs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi, I have a Barclays account in England, I use Torfx to transfer money, good rates, and once the account is set up, it only takes a phone call, and my money is in Sol bank in 24 hrs! Tony.
tonyhobbs

Postby JeremyB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for that, will look into XE and Torfx. Cheers!
JeremyB

Postby Mary M » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:24 pm

We bank with Sabadell in Spain and Lloyds in the UK. We have an expansion account with Sabadell which means we incur no banks charges and we get in think 3% back of any utilities paid per month back up to the maximum of 30 euros the only the only rue s you must transfer a minimum of 700 euros per month into the account. We used to use Currencies Direct for transfers for many years but when we moved here permanently last year and set up a regular monthly transfer with them it turned into being a complete nightmare with them so we now use Sabadell to do the transfer now as we can talk to them here in the branch if we had a problem (not that we have had any problems so far) plus have email and phone contact details of the London branch as well. We are very happy with the service from them as I sad so far better than Currencies Direct who couldn't even use the word sorry we they messed our transfers up.

Mary
Mary M

Next