Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving to Benijofar

Re: Driving to Benijofar

Postby sylviaf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi We have started to book online now but if we just check in on route had no problems getting a room but guess it all depends on time of year you decide to travel,The BB group of hotels seem to be used buy workmen during the week days,so seem busier then than weekend.Just booked our first stop Hotel La Pins in the town of Le Tatre France.Most hotels are manned from 5pm otherwise you can use the self service check in.Happy Travelling been doing this for 10years now.
sylviaf

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Re: Driving to ciudad quesada

Postby margo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi All. Been looking at driving over later in year october ish. Never done this before. I get vertigo and these routes all look as though they go over the mountains is this correct?? If so its a no no for me.

Cheers
Margo
margo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:02 am

Well, Spain is rather a mountainous country. The borders are defined by mountain ranges,

mountains.JPG

I'm sure there must be a way around them but even coming from Bilbao or Santander you go over quite a few mountains.
Some of those dark brown bits get over 3000 metres in height.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Chris1959 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi to all of those thinking of driving down to Spain. I have been mailed some useful tips which I thought may be of interest.

Pay for petrol in cash not with your card in France. They take a deposit from card of 100€ which can take days to be refunded.
Don’t fill up on the motorway, find a Carrefour or supermarket in one of the towns, you can save around 10-15 cents per litre this is the same in France and Spain.
You may also find that motorway petrol stations will be unmanned and you will have to pay with your card anyway (see note above).
Petrol is cheaper in Paris and Madrid and cheaper once you cross the boarder into Spain. It drops by 45-60 cents per litre once you get to Spain
Also mentioned, common sense when stopping at any service station, make sure you can see your car at all times if left without passengers, especially in France ?

The information provided is for guidance only.
Happy and safe motoring to all
Chris1959

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentura

Postby wheeltad » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14 pm

We went via the tunnel also with two dogs, took 24 hours to drive, no hotel stops at all, if you want to know the routes please contact me. Angie
wheeltad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Oasis, La Marina

Postby briret » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 am

Are Chris1959 and wheeltad saying it is not advisable to drive down via the tunnel and make hotel stops as then there will be no passengers in the car during the night? I have done long trips before in my youth but now I would need sleep and would be the only driver.
Any suggestions as to “safe” hotels would be most welcome
Brian
briret

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Chris1959 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:35 am

briret wrote:Are Chris1959 and wheeltad saying it is not advisable to drive down via the tunnel and make hotel stops as then there will be no passengers in the car during the night? I have done long trips before in my youth but now I would need sleep and would be the only driver.
Any suggestions as to “safe” hotels would be most welcome
Brian

Hi Brian, I've been given friendly advice that when pulling up to service stations, not to be confused with B&Bs or Hotels, to just be on your guard esp if you have UK plates. You tend to stand out from the rest and so can make ones self a target for opportunist thieves etc. If there's two in the car or more or travelling in a convoy ? Then this doesn't apply as much. Safe driving and let us know how you get on.
Chris1959

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentura

Postby kazzyb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi there We drive up and down twice each way every year and have done for around 15 years France has fabulous scenery and we still pick up hotels very cheaply staying at two in France and one in northern Spain Decent ones are only around 40- 50 euros a night ie Kyriad Calais Campanile mid France and Ibis in Irun and tolls are quite easy to avoid. Irun has a supermarket too for very cheap petrol On our trip down in March this year it was just 84 cents a litre !! Enjoy your trip !! PS Stay away from the very cheap hotels as French teenagers and or ladies of the night take advantage of their prices so not much sleep !
kazzyb

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby ukdobby » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi,we,ve done the trip numerous times from Sheffield,we take the tunnel and stop around Rouen,Dreux,Amiens,then move on down and then its Potiers,Anguoleme,Bordaeux depending on how long you want to drive,last time we got down to Pau,then its over the Pyrinees or through Biaritz and Irun,the latter is flat,then both routes take you to Zaragossa and Valencia then on to Alicante.We have a small Yorky so look at hotels with restaurants and parking,mostly have been good.
Take care in France of the speed cameras got my 1st on the Bordaeux ring road coming onto it,96 in a 90 zone ouch 45€ fine.
ukdobby

Postby briret » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you for all your helpful words of advice from chris1959, kazzyb and ukdobby
We expect to get to Rouen or further at the end of the first day then Bordeaux area day 2 then Zaragoza area which seems feasible looking at the route planner!
Will avoid the cheap places as kazzyb says! One wife one small dog and me – any recommended hotel chains – I see Campanile and Ibis have been stated any other?
Thanks again
Brian
briret

PreviousNext