Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Crosses behind Rojales

Crosses behind Rojales

Postby Beaglepup » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:56 am

Hi I know this question has been answered before but I can't find the answer. I took some visitors to the caves yesterday and they asked about the three crosses on the hill Could someone tell me again .
Many thanks
Beaglepup

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Crosses behind Rojales

Postby mondo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:29 am

I am not sure, but I do know someone on here will know. When you get up to them they do not look old, just big RSJ type rails welded together... They are used at Easter when there is a service up at the crosses at midnight before Good Friday.. It is a very moving ceremony attended by hundreds of people, most from Rojales I suspect.

They are worth a look at at any time, the view is spectacular...

mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Beaglepup » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks mondo how do you get to them.
Beaglepup

Postby mondo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Beaglepup wrote:Thanks mondo how do you get to them.

From opposite the Centro Salud, down one of the roads facing the CS you come to a gazzillion steps which take you up there.. there are "Stations of the Cross" going up... at Easter hundreds of people walk up the steps, some very elderly...

Or you could go up behind and park on the road and it is just a small rise to get up there..

That is our preferred way...:D
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Espanabums » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 pm

The easiest access is from Benimar urb. From the Benimar commercial centre go to the crematorium, turn right up the hill at the crem and take the first left. The road bends around to the right and the access to the crosses is just before that bend.
I don't know the history behind the crosses but as an earlier poster said someone will, possibly Martin the Artist, who has a wealth of knowledge about the area.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Postby Martin the artist » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 am

I don't know any particular history of the crosses - obviously symbolising the 3 crosses for when Jesus was crucified.
Many towns have religious statues and effigies - e.g. Santomera near Murcia has a statue of Christ like Rio (but not as big!) - and the hillside overlooking Rojales is a good location for them to be seen over the town.
I know they were refurbished and refitted 9 or 10 years ago and had some sort of special papal blessing about 3 years ago.
And as mondo says, the Thursday night service during holy week is very moving where they process the statues of Jesus and the 2 criminals up the steps and then string them up on the crosses around midnight when they have a vigil there till around 7am on good Friday morning when they take them down.
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Beaglepup » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks everyone for all the info at least now I can show visitors I have a little knowledge of our area.
Beaglepup

Postby Janjan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:34 pm

If you Google "Stations of the Cross" you will learn even more to impress your Visitors. Most Visitors like to know about the Local Area. A lot are amazed it's not like Benidorm.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area