Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

LEMON GRASS

Re: LEMON GRASS

Postby Jillandsteve » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:36 pm

But you smell good
Jillandsteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby manxmunk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:01 am

hi, :text-lol: how often and how hard do you need to hit the mossies with the lemon grass to repel them???
manxmunk

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby Jan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:54 am

I believe, from my experience, that any plants attract insects and the answer is to not have any plants surrounding or near a seating and eating area/terrace in the garden. When we have been anywhere outside, including bars and restaurants that have plants beside the seating areas, we have noticed more mosquitos around us. I have purposely not planted anything near or on our terraces and don't have much trouble. Obviously we get the odd one or two, especially when it's really hot, but definitely not as many as near the plant areas.

Worth a thought when planning a garden.

Jan
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Jillandsteve » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:42 pm

With the size of gardens here I doubt if it's possible to have an outdoor seating/eating area without plants. Maybe burning a citronella candle etc will do just as good a job, but I guess it's horses for courses
Do they sell electric outdoor mozzie zappers here? It was fun back in oz sitting out on a warm Summer's night listening to the moths go pop as the hit the grid
Jillandsteve

Postby Tootandploot » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Citronella doesn't really work. We don't have any plants but I asked because I have some pots to fill and wanted tall grasses. I stumbled across an article lemon grass somewhere, just wondered if it was available and thought might try to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Tootandploot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:52 pm

When sitting outside in the evening, we use the Deet anti-mossy wipes and put Citronella tea lights in a couple of lamps.
Yes, we do get the occasional bite but nothing like we had before.
I think the garden centre on the way to Los Montesinos had Lemon Grass (Hierba de limon) plus several other plants with labels on them saying anti-mosquito or Repela Mosquitoes.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby manxmunk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:03 pm

serious reply to your mossie problems, do you like marmite? if you regularly have marmite or vegemite, you very rarely get bitten. whenever my family went on holiday to the Dom Rep, they would come back resembling a join the dots picture puzzle where as I had none or only a couple of bites. this was confirmed when my wife asked the entertainment staff at the hotel, how come they didn't have bites and their reply was Vegemite. I now understand the love it or hate it attitude, I love it, the mossies hate it.
manxmunk

Postby Jillandsteve » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Do you eat it or spread on your body ?
Jillandsteve

Postby manxmunk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:50 pm

That's what my wife asked the entertainment staff, considering they are all non white, it was a little uncomfortable but thankfully they saw the funny side to it. Less mess if you put it on your toast.
manxmunk

Previous