Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Health care after Brexit

Health care after Brexit

Postby benji » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:42 pm

It is important for us expats that, after Brexit, we retain our right to the use of the national health service with our SIP cards (for which the UK government reimburses the Spanish authorities). There is a new petition lobbying the UK parliament for this. If it reaches 100,000 signatures it has to be debated in both Houses.

Here is the link for you to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161997

benji

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Health care after Brexit

Postby maisiesdad » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Thank you-done + 1 & posted on Facebook.
maisiesdad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby pastyman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 am

benji wrote:It is important for us expats that, after Brexit, we retain our right to the use of the national health service with our SIP cards (for which the UK government reimburses the Spanish authorities). There is a new petition lobbying the UK parliament for this. If it reaches 100,000 signatures it has to be debated in both Houses.

Here is the link for you to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161997

Done and tell all your friends.
pastyman

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:39 am

Hi,
You're a bit early with this one, are you not?
Article 50 has not yet been invoked therefore I cannot see Parliament discussing any matter relating to post Brexit.
What's next? Another petition asking us to sign because we may be asked to leave Spain.
Don't get me wrong, I do sympathise with you and appreciate your concerns.
Please be patient and await the outcome.

Andy C
AndyC

Postby Juanita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:05 pm

I am guessing with a comment like that you are not resident in Spain. Surely there is no harm bringing the subject to the fore just in case!
Petition signed.
Juanita

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby valenciasman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:00 pm

I am resident in Spain and completely agree with Andyc. Far too early, Article 50 has not been invoked and we dont even know what that will mean.
valenciasman

Which part of Spain are you from?: villamartin

Postby pastyman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:43 am

valenciasman wrote:I am resident in Spain and completely agree with Andyc. Far too early, Article 50 has not been invoked and we dont even know what that will mean.

To be fore warned is to be fore armed.
pastyman

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Postby AndyC » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:34 am

Sorry Juanita but I have been resident in Spain for over 13 years now. Just to add some substance to my post here is something which was posted on the internet today.
" British residents of the Costa Blanca have been reassured by Valencia President, Ximo Puig, that their free healthcare is safe once the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. In the wake of the Brexit referendum vote over a fortnight ago, one of the major concerns of British residents has been what will happen to their access to the Spanish health service but on a visit to Benidorm this week, Puig unequivocably stated that there would be no change to health provision for the approximately 100 thousand strong British population within the Valencia region after Brexit is enacted.

The Valencian leader reiterated his message issued the day after the referendum result of “love, affection and security” as far as the British residents are concerned. “The Valencian Government will not initiate any fundamental disruption of health provision” guaranteed Puig.

Since coming to power over a year ago, the Valencian left-wing PSOE/Compromis coalition have also reversed decisions on SIP card access to foreigners in the area without residence permits, and started returning the cards to around 60 thousand foreign nationals who had them confiscated after the ban was launched in September 2012. This move brought Puig into conflict with Mariano Rajoy’s PP government in Madrid who have taken the matter to Spain’s Constitutional Court.

There’s been no declaration from the Murcia regional government over their views on British residents continuing to access free healthcare after the UK quits the European Union."

Even with this statement I would still wait to see what happens.
AndyC

Postby Drama Queen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Drama Queen

Which part of Spain are you from?: Near the golf course

Postby Mickey Braw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:41 pm

In other words the message to the Remoaners is chill out. The UK will do the right thing by the many, many Spaniards living and working in the UK and the Spanish will reciprocate. Then, when things settle down and the powers that be have finished talking the UK into recession and the pound is worth 1.50€, we´ll all live happily ever after and all those who have jumped the gun and have given their property away at a ridiculous price can look back from freezing, rainy, grey, log jammed, overcrowded , expensive, GB with the deepest of regret.
Hold your nerve !!!!
Mickey Braw

Next