Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Mince Beef from Lidl

Re: Mince Beef from Lidl

Postby manxmunk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:36 am

Have you considered using Quorn mince from the freezer sections, (if it is available in Spain). Cooks the same as mince and you wouldn't notice the difference in taste. I have been using it for over a year now and there is no fat to worry about draining off for the health conscious eaters.
manxmunk

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby THORNTON3 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:50 am

I get all my meat products from Quesada Butchers. all ways spot on. Sausages the best I've had.
THORNTON3

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Lexi » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 am

No meat cooked for 30 mins should produce red broth!
Lexi

Which part of Spain are you from?: Urb La Marina

Postby Jan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Lexi wrote:No meat cooked for 30 mins should produce red broth!

Only the Red Spanish sausages - They could be cooked for hours and the water/fat will still be red (It's not blood, it's Paprika I think). The first time we had these at a friends BBQ years ago I wouldn't eat them thinking they were not cooked properly, but now I like them better than UK sausages.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby TonyH » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:01 pm

manxmunk wrote:Have you considered using Quorn mince from the freezer sections, (if it is available in Spain). Cooks the same as mince and you wouldn't notice the difference in taste. I have been using it for over a year now and there is no fat to worry about draining off for the health conscious eaters.

Back in the UK, we always had some of the Family 'turn-up' unexpected for their Sunday lunch, so I used to make all of my Lasagne, Mousaka and Cottage/Shepherds pies with cheap 'Asda' Veggie Mince, as we had one vegetarian sometimes to cater for. Never told anyone I used Beef 'Oxo' cubes though - naughty! ;)
Last edited by TonyH on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyH

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Florida

Postby TonyH » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm

dr.doolittle wrote:I have to say I have never had a problem with mince from Lidl, but do think the best mince is from Rio butchers.
I agree, I nearly always buy the 800g mince from Lidl, when they're on offer, both Vacun & Mixta and I've never had any complaints.
TonyH

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Florida

Postby ukdobby » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Aldi do a mince beef,its the best I have had in Spain.
ukdobby

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby AJepson » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:22 am

Hi everyone
My wife is a retired chef. She, like many others reads the back of food stuff packaging to see what is in it. We also noticed the difference of all pre packed mince in Spanish supermarkets and if you check out the label on the pack all their mince has tons of additives in. The only pure mince of any kind i.e beef, chicken pork, etc is only available in English butchers in the area. Hope this comment is of some help
:|
AJepson

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:55 am

AJepson wrote:Hi everyone
My wife is a retired chef. She, like many others reads the back of food stuff packaging to see what is in it. We also noticed the difference of all pre packed mince in Spanish supermarkets and if you check out the label on the pack all their mince has tons of additives in. The only pure mince of any kind i.e beef, chicken pork, etc is only available in English butchers in the area. Hope this comment is of some help

Not quite comparing like for like there. Have a look at the additives in minced beef in UK supermarkets. "70% pink slime" according to some reports plus up to 20% fat and juices (which is also added to so-called fresh chickens and ham products) unless you buy the "extra lean" stuff which doubles in value but still has 5% fat added.
Ingredients in Tesco minced beef (60% beef) include wheat flour, water, beef fat, soya protein isolate, salt, onion powder, yeast, sugar, barley malt extract, garlic powder, white pepper extract, celery extract and onion extract.That doesn't include the amount of preservatives and colorants.
And you can get "pure" mince beef and chicken etc at Spanish butchers as well, not just English ones. A particularly good one is up the road from Iceland by the Torregrossa and Hogar shops where he will select a piece of beef or chicken and mince it for you.
Buying a pre-pack of minced beef (not mixta) in the supermarkets here and the amount of added fat is far less than, say, Asda or Tesco, or so it seems by the amount of fat you have to drain off.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby dr.doolittle » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:56 pm

:text-goodpost:
marcliff wrote:
AJepson wrote:Hi everyone

Not quite comparing like for like there. Have a look at the additives in minced beef in UK supermarkets. "70% pink slime" according to some reports plus up to 20% fat and juices (which is also added to so-called fresh chickens and ham products) unless you buy the "extra lean" stuff which doubles in value but still has 5% fat added.
Ingredients in Tesco minced beef (60% beef) include wheat flour, water, beef fat, soya protein isolate, salt, onion powder, yeast, sugar, barley malt extract, garlic powder, white pepper extract, celery extract and onion extract.That doesn't include the amount of preservatives and colorants.
And you can get "pure" mince beef and chicken etc at Spanish butchers as well, not just English ones. A particularly good one is up the road from Iceland by the Torregrossa and Hogar shops where he will select a piece of beef or chicken and mince it for you.
Buying a pre-pack of minced beef (not mixta) in the supermarkets here and the amount of added fat is far less than, say, Asda or Tesco, or so it seems by the amount of fat you have to drain off.
dr.doolittle

PreviousNext