Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

check your change

check your change

Postby ALAN T » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi All
happy new year to everyone !
last time we were over in early dec, on a couple of occasions was nearly short changed by bar staff at
2 different bars
gave them a 50 euro note for 6-7 euro bill ,and was handed 2x 5 euro notes instead of 2x 20s
both these notes are blue, so a quick glance at your change may not be enough to check you have the right amount.
when i challenged the bar staff, they apologised, and tried to make a joke of it by saying "worth a try"
because this has happened twice, am i right in thinking this is a little scam that some bar staff try on the older
customers(I'm 65).
coming from the elephant and castle in london, I'm no mug when it comes to this sort of thing.
has anyone else had this scam tried on them ?or am i being over sceptical
ALAN T

Which part of Spain are you from?: quedada

Re: check your change

Postby marcliff » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:01 pm

Any particular bars? Not happened to me in rather a long time of living here.
5 euro notes are more green and about a third the size of a 20 so you'd have to be a bit unobservant not to notice.
Still, always nice for the warning.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Belcat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 pm

A "heads up" on the offending Bars would be useful ;) .
I have had this happen on one occasion , but it was in a Spanish Bar in Torrevieja town centre.
Belcat

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta, Torreviej

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:36 pm

Belcat wrote:A "heads up" on the offending Bars would be useful ;) .
I have had this happen on one occasion , but it was in a Spanish Bar in Torrevieja town centre.

Why?

We do not want bars being named for something that may have been a mistake!

Most bars are struggling and who wants their favourite bar closing down because the ' expat jungle drums' spread the word of someone being short changed...chinese whispers can be damaging when they escalate into loads of people being short changed!

It can happen anywhere and we should just be extra careful wherever we are.

Out of interest I have always only ever changed 50 notes (or bigger) in supermarkets or banks where they check all their notes and always only carry small notes and change to use in bars and smaller shops & restaurants. Who knows when we may be given a fake note and then get blamed for passing one on (which did happen to one of our members on here a while back when the police were called as she unknowingly used it in a supermarket).

We can make sure we are not short changed - No need to name and shame...with the possibility of being wrong!

:text-thankyouyellow:

Jan
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Mickey Braw » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:44 pm

:text-goodpost:
Mickey Braw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Scipio » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:52 pm

We had a woman in our local supermercado who always short changed by a euro or 50c.
Added up over a day that was quite a bonus.
With the managers help she eventually got caught.
Scipio

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby SALUKI » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Paying small cuentas with 50 € notes is asking for problems....they walk away with your money and that's it....if possible pay with card or small notes. It's the same everywhere!
SALUKI

Which part of Spain are you from?: BENIMAR II

Postby Brandy Boy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Mistakes can happen, and no doubt do. If you think you`ve been scammed, go somewhere else, but I find that 99.9% of bar owners are honest, hard working people who go out of their way to make you welcome. Spanish or English. :)
Brandy Boy

Postby Belcat » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Jan wrote:
Belcat wrote:A "heads up" on the offending Bars would be useful ;) .

Why?

We do not want bars being named for something that may have been a mistake!

Most bars are struggling and who wants their favourite bar closing down because the ' expat jungle drums' spread the word of someone being short changed...chinese whispers can be damaging when they escalate into loads of people being short changed!

It can happen anywhere and we should just be extra careful wherever we are.

Out of interest I have always only ever changed 50 notes (or bigger) in supermarkets or banks where they check all their notes and always only carry small notes and change to use in bars and smaller shops & restaurants. Who knows when we may be given a fake note and then get blamed for passing one on (which did happen to one of our members on here a while back when the police were called as she unknowingly used it in a supermarket).

We can make sure we are not short changed - No need to name and shame...with the possibility of being wrong!

:text-thankyouyellow:

Jan
...................................................................................Point taken Jan.I asked that , primarily because it appeared from the first post that it had happened on several occasions , by the same venue .I just thought it seemed more than a coincidence .On reflection , you are right . No naming and shaming should take place , without conclusive proof that the establishment do this sort of thing constantly. Sorry !:oops:
Belcat

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta, Torreviej

Postby Brandy Boy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Belcat wrote:I asked that , primarily because it appeared from the first post that it had happened on several occasions , by the same venue .

l ast time we were over in early dec, on a couple of occasions was nearly short changed by bar staff at
2 different bars" ............. ;) :)
Brandy Boy

Next