Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Lo Crispin - commercial area - history

Lo Crispin - commercial area - history

Postby foxystoat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Hiya. Just had a walk around the whole outer ring of Lo Crispin, noticed the 'commercial area' as we walked down towards the end of our walk near the arches.

Can anyone answer this question - seems a pity that there's only one bar that appears to be open there. Was it a 'white elephant' from when the urbanisation was built or was it ever fully occupied after it was built?

How popular was the 'mercadilo" when that started up a few years ago?

Seems such a pity that for the area the size of lo Crispin that this commercial area didn't really take off.
foxystoat

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Herrada

Re: Lo Crispin - commercial area - history

Postby Janjan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

It's the same at Monte Azul. They built the Commercial Centre when it was rumoured more houses would be built. Bars and Grocery shops have been and gone. They even fitted one out for a Bank. Then the Bank Crisis came so no more new Property was built. These businesses need a lot of customers to make a living.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby foxystoat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Janjan wrote:It's the same at Monte Azul. They built the Commercial Centre when it was rumoured more houses would be built. Bars and Grocery shops have been and gone. They even fitted one out for a Bank. Then the Bank Crisis came so no more new Property was built. These businesses need a lot of customers to make a living.

Such a pity Janjan, we live on the next estate and always fancied a walk round. Really nice urbanisation, just a pity that little section lets it down. Guessed it may have been financial crisis related.
foxystoat

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Herrada

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm

foxystoat wrote:
Janjan wrote:It's the same at Monte Azul. They built the Commercial Centre when it was rumoured more houses would be built. Bars and Grocery shops have been and gone. They even fitted one out for a Bank. Then the Bank Crisis came so no more new Property was built. These businesses need a lot of customers to make a living.

Such a pity Janjan, we live on the next estate and always fancied a walk round. Really nice urbanisation, just a pity that little section lets it down. Guessed it may have been financial crisis related.

Not sure about 'financial crisis related' but you may be right, as there are quite a number of half built or unoccupied commercial centres around everywhere - Pueblo Bravo has had a half built one for years but nearby this empty commercial centre are some restaurants and bars that seem to do as well as any others in the area.

Also the Lo marabu bar area (as it was known) near the Laguna hotel has lots of empty commercials which have been empty, as far as I know, for more than 12 years. They are all built but only a few are occupied and some restaurants have come and gone over the years here but some of the units have never had an occupier - Rumour has it that this is due to high rents by the building company owners. However there are a number of restaurants down there that appear to do well and have been there for years. It's a mystery really as developers/Estate agent can tell us there is going to be a commercial area nearby places we are thinking of buying or renting and, if we can't see one, we can take that with a pinch of salt but when the commercial blocks are actually built and unoccupied or half built, it's very strange!

We've had discussions about this before and the consensus opinion has often been, why not rent them out at a cheaper rent to get some value from the units, instead of none, and also to help regenerate these areas and give businesses a head start? This would also give residents a better place to live instead of them having to drive everywhere.

Pueblo Bravo for instance (in dire need of a local supermarket!) has only just recently had a small convenience store open ('Jukes' Mini Market and Cafe/sandwich bar) - The very first time that there has been any type of food store in that area. This is on the side of the Olive Bar and charity shop but still no sign of the half finished commercial block being finished.

Jan
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby white_hart » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:50 pm

I know it's in Guardamar as opposed to Rojales, but if you look at somewhere like El Raso, things DO seem to be "moving" a little...empty units are becoming occupied - new bar, an internet provider, a hair salon, and a rumoured pharmacy.

Wouldn't this suggest that things ARE beginning to "look up", so could those currently dead "commercial areas" in the likes of Lo Crispin soon become "active"?
white_hart

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby donaduo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Jukes has gone!

Apparently, from what I heard, the electric didn't get connected for a couple or three months after the rental commenced. After fitting out and stocking there were no customers, naturally and, noincome, savings dwindled and the business went under.

Some say Euromarina is to blame for the 'fiasco' and for Sky high rents
donaduo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby donaduo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:57 pm

white_hart wrote:I know it's in Guardamar as opposed to Rojales, but if you look at somewhere like El Raso, things DO seem to be "moving" a little...empty units are becoming occupied - new bar, an internet provider, a hair salon, and a rumoured pharmacy.

Wouldn't this suggest that things ARE beginning to "look up", so could those currently dead "commercial areas" in the likes of Lo Crispin soon become "active"?

But bars in El Raso have had complaints from neighbours about noise and, without the attraction of music, custom may well dwindle and closures follow.
donaduo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby white_hart » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:11 pm

I was more getting at the fact that one place has recently closed (the El Raso Restaurant), but 3 have opened (El Bar, DVBLab, the hair salon) and and in fact 4 if you include the Contrimar unit. 2 other places (The New Med and The Hot Stone) have gone through very recent moves and/or refurbishment processes, so clearly SOMEONE's spending money in the area, which MUST be a good thing, surely?!

I'd see it as a positive, hopefully to continue to the surrounding areas...whether they fail or not can't be foreseen, and isn't really the point!
white_hart

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

donaduo wrote:Jukes has gone!

Apparently, from what I heard, the electric didn't get connected for a couple or three months after the rental commenced. After fitting out and stocking there were no customers, naturally and, noincome, savings dwindled and the business went under.

Some say Euromarina is to blame for the 'fiasco' and for Sky high rents

Oh dear I didn't know that. I was just looking through my photos I took last time I was there, to see what was new there (as I do!) and there are people sitting outside in the sunshine and I thought as it had just opened, it would still be there - It really looks like it would have done well - Such a shame, so no desperately needed local food shop in Pueblo Bravo still!!
Here's the photo from Sept/October 2016 (Another one bites the dust!):
jukes.jpg
Jan
Site Admin

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:27 pm

white_hart wrote:I know it's in Guardamar as opposed to Rojales, but if you look at somewhere like El Raso, things DO seem to be "moving" a little...empty units are becoming occupied - new bar, an internet provider, a hair salon, and a rumoured pharmacy.

Let's hope so!
Jan
Site Admin

Next