Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Which bank

Re: Which bank

Postby glen.monks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 pm

2 Recommendations here. Sabadel and La Caixa. Fees for non-res is 138 per year with Sabadel, can anyone offer fees for La Caixa for non-res please? I assume no transaction fees for Sabadel?
glen.monks

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesad

Postby Jan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

glen.monks wrote:2 Recommendations here. Sabadel and La Caixa. Fees for non-res is 138 per year with Sabadel, can anyone offer fees for La Caixa for non-res please? I assume no transaction fees for Sabadel?

All banks charge for the non resident certificate. It isn't a tax it's a fee and it is about every two years or so. I definitely don't remember it being that much for the two of us but I will check as it was a couple years ago.

Here's a copy of an article from http://www.easyspain.com/need-non-resident-certificate/ from 2015:

"If you do have a non-resident bank account you will need a non-resident certificate to confirm your status. Banks have to be clear for taxation purposes about whether the account is for a resident or non-resident. But don’t worry, you don’t have to obtain this yourself.

If you are a non-resident then at some point you will receive a letter from your bank asking you to confirm your non-resident status. This usually happens approximately every two years. The bank then uses this to apply on your behalf for your non-resident certificate. They then send this to the Spanish tax authority so that the funds in your account are not taxed in Spain.

The bank does not routinely issue you with this certificate. In fact, you may not even know that you have one. It is kept on file and it will stay with the bank until it needs replacing in a couple of years time.

One way that you might discover that you have this certificate or that it has been applied for on your behalf is that you will be charged a fee of around 30€ for the privilege. This will be taken directly from your account."
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Diane daya vieja » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm

We are with Sabadell. No problems and free because we are resident and have a pension paid in every 3 months. No charges for cards and online access easy to use so don't know why you want to switch
Diane daya vieja

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby daz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Jan wrote:
No Sabadell don't!
Normal account charges for a normal current account is 15 euros every 3 months and 34euros per year for the cards (inclusive fee for two cards for us!). Those are a flat fees inclusive for two of us on a joint account, with no other charges for any account dealings. Much better than some banks I have found. Also for anyone with a certain amount like a pension going into the account per month , there are NO charges.I just looked at my last full year fee statement for this.

Jan

I note the monthly charges you mentioned for Sabadell, but unless I was misquoted in branch the other day, they are dearer than that, or are about to increase, not sure which.

they told me 30 euros a quarter, so obviously 120 a year, + 38 approx. every two years for non res tax. so minimum 139 approx annually plus other charges for what we would otherwise take for granted in the UK.
if you find that miracle of a bank with a fee free account, you will hit the jackpot, and I'm sure we would all like to know about 'that' one.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby stu and maz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Our non-res current account at la Caixa (formerly barclays) charge €20 per quarter for overall maintenance. (paying direct debits, supplying atm cards etc). Never been charged extra for paying bills, depositing money, cards etc. Just the non-res certificate which is about €15 each every 2 years. Our savings account has no charges. Had both accounts 5 years or so.
stu and maz

Which part of Spain are you from?: ciudad quesada

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:51 pm

daz wrote:
Jan wrote:
No Sabadell don't!
Normal account charges for a normal current account is 15 euros every 3 months and 34euros per year for the cards (inclusive fee for two cards for us!). Those are a flat fees inclusive for two of us on a joint account, with no other charges for any account dealings. Much better than some banks I have found. Also for anyone with a certain amount like a pension going into the account per month , there are NO charges.I just looked at my last full year fee statement for this.

Jan

I note the monthly charges you mentioned for Sabadell, but unless I was misquoted in branch the other day, they are dearer than that, or are about to increase, not sure which.

they told me 30 euros a quarter, so obviously 120 a year, + 38 approx. every two years for non res tax. so minimum 139 approx annually plus other charges for what we would otherwise take for granted in the UK.
if you find that miracle of a bank with a fee free account, you will hit the jackpot, and I'm sure we would all like to know about 'that' one.

My last full year statement of fees that I had to hand was 2015. I am waiting for 2016 but have had no notification of raised charges, although they may have gone up a bit. The fees you quoted for Sabadell would not have "any other charges for what we would otherwise take for granted in the UK" as we have only had the maintenance charge per quarter plus card charge each year and of course non res certificate every 2 years.

However, your latest fee quote from Sabadell is a good starting point for others who want to compare the charges...not by word of mouth but by going into each bank personally like you have.

Someone mentioned they were charged for normal transactions with Caixa. Well that needs to be confirmed too as Sabadell certainly don't charge for any day to day normal transactions. That should be included in the quarterly maintenance charge otherwise what is a maintenance charge for?

Anyway, it's nice to get opinions of banks but for actual up to date charges and fees it pays to talk to the banks themselves.

Jan
Jan
Site Admin

Postby TonTri » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Daz. Sabadell's fees have gone up from those Jan quoted. We opened a joint Key Plus account with them last month and our charges are €30 per quarter. There is no charge for the first bank card but charges if you want a second.

We havent yet had to pay for a non-residents certificate that I am aware of, so that is something I will look our for.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby TonTri » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Oh and although it is early days yet, I cant fault the service we have had with Sabadell so far, it has been excellent and their online app is so easy to use to do my banking from the UK.
TonTri

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:32 pm

TonTri wrote:Hi Daz. Sabadell's fees have gone up from those Jan quoted. We opened a joint Key Plus account with them last month and our charges are €30 per quarter. There is no charge for the first bank card but charges if you want a second.

We havent yet had to pay for a non-residents certificate that I am aware of, so that is something I will look our for.

Out if interest what is a joint Key Plus account and what is the difference between a normal joint current account? We have a normal current account which suits us and they have tried to offer us other accounts but living mainly in the UK and only needing certain functions, it suits us.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby TonTri » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:48 pm

To be honest Jan, I dont know. Our solicitor set us up with Sabadell and that is the account they gave us. We never researched the different banks at the time. It seems to be very well set up for non-residents and online banking though and as I said, we have had excellent service so far.
TonTri

PreviousNext