Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Cats!!!!!!

Cats!!!!!!

Postby marcliff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:12 am

Well, we thought we'd had the solution to those cats who pee on the lawn, dig up the gravel to do their business and so on. Spraying with lemon juice, putting up a so-called cat scarer and so on. Nope, the little rascals still get in.
Annoyingly, they aren't feral cats. These have collars and their owners simply let them out at night and let them roam.
Covering outside furniture so they don't shed or worse all over it. They still get on and it wasn't very pleasant clearing up cat mess and puke from our patio furniture.
Today was the worst. End of winter, put the quilts through the machine to freshen them up before storage for the summer. Leaving them out to dry and a god-darned cat got on it and peed all over the thing when it was drying.
Sorry, but take control of your little darlings. Next time I see one in my garden the pellet gun will come out.
And I mean it.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Re: Cats!!!!!!

Postby mondo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 am

Instead of shooting the cat... which could end up getting you in real trouble, why not invest in one of those strong water rifle thingies.. you will deter the cat and not do any real harm.... if you want to be really nasty you could put a bit of vinegar in the water too, Better than having a dead or wounded cat and a visit from the policia..

mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 am

Threatening to harm an animal is appalling.Can't believe you said that. Water spraying is a deterrent but doesnt hurt them and is the absolute most you should do.
Shiva

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 am

It do sympathise with your problem as it is annoying and frustrating when this happens (and I love cats and have a cat in the UK) but there are other deterrents you could try to keep them out of your garden.

Try buying a large pack of pepper and sprinkle it over your stones. Cats like to sniff before they wee or poo -It doesn't hurt them and they will go elsewhere. A water gun as suggested above, is also a good idea. After a few showers they may decide your garden isn't the best one for them.

Hopefully others may be able to suggest sone more 'humane' deterrents.

The problem with Spain, as opposed to UK gardens, is that they are generally paved or shingled with not much space (unless you are in the country areas). In the UK cats have decent soil to bury their poo but in Spain if there is soil then mostly it is dried up and hard. All cats are generally clean by nature when toileting but the Spanish climate with hard soil and lots of paved/stoned gardens doesn't help them.

Jan

There's a few suggestions on this topic:
pets-in-spain-and-travelling-with-animals-to-spain-f178/cats-how-to-stop-them-messing-up-the-garden-t11987.html
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Petal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 am

Sprinkle hot pepper everywhere, they wont come back.
Petal

Which part of Spain are you from?: Gran Alacant

Postby Southpaw » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 am

Get a dog. There's a lovely little Jack Russel in need of a loving home,currently advertised on this Forum!! :)
Southpaw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby maisiesdad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

:text-goodpost:
Southpaw wrote:Get a dog. There's a lovely little Jack Russel in need of a loving home,currently advertised on this Forum!! :)
maisiesdad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am

Can I use the pellet gun on the owners, then? Those that let them out all night to ruin furniture and bedding etc. Those that don't provide bedding or dirt trays for them and become all self-righteous about their precious little darlings?
Its been going on for years and newsletters, bringing it up at AGMs and so on hasn't worked.
And, dinkelharper, you have your wish.
Bye bye
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby florimondo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

when we lived rural in Portugal, a cat would visit and walk over the outside kitchen units etc, I got fed up with it and wrapped some chilli powder in a bit of chicken skin, the cat got its revenge and crapped over everything but it never came back....we now have a small dog doesnt bark but is obsessed with cats, that is the only effective deterrent that I know.
But it really annoys me that peoples cats come and dig up you veggie garden and defecate everywhere, and then cat lovers say oh they are such clean creatures....Yeh right....
florimondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby mondo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:26 am

florimondo wrote:But it really annoys me that peoples cats come and dig up you veggie garden and defecate everywhere, a...

In this ecological world we now live in perhaps the owners should charge you for the free manure.. people have been spreading manure on crops for thousands of years to make them grow well...

Stop carping and be thankful for getting something for nothing..

:text-lol:
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Next