Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

UK Driving Licence

UK Driving Licence

Postby Sage » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:31 pm

I live in the UK, I have a holiday home in Quesada, a Spanish car and a UK driving licence. The paper supplement of the driving licence is now obsolete.....i used to bring it to Spain with me on my visits. Apart from my UK driving licence is there anything I need to provide instead of the paper supplement ?
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: UK Driving Licence

Postby Sue& John » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:09 pm

I also have a holiday home in Quesada I only have a and use a paper driving licence nothing else
Sue& John

Which part of Spain are you from?: Near star roundabout

Postby elchedave » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Am I not right in saying those paper licences are obsolete everywhere, including the UK??
Regards,
Dave
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:43 pm

elchedave wrote:Am I not right in saying those paper licences are obsolete everywhere, including the UK??
Regards,
Dave

The paper licenses are not actually obsolete in the UK but those who have the photo card license don't need to keep them.
However they are obsolete in Spain as they need those of us from UK to have and carry a photo card license. I have heard though that they still need us to carry a passport with the license when driving in Spain (passport acts as an ID card).

It says this on the DVLA website:

"It’s never been mandatory for drivers to replace their traditional style paper driving licence with the photocard licence, and this will remain unchanged."

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/ ... abolished/
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Sage » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:45 pm

I think some are misunderstanding the question.....

I already have a UK photocard driving licence.

There used to be an additional A4 size sheet called a 'Counterpart Driving Licence' which listed
* Any provisional entitlements
* Any endorsements

Both the photocard and the paper counterpart formed the UK d/licence. The paper counterpart is now obsolete. They are no longer used.
Sage

Postby PeteKnight » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm in the same situation as you. I spend less than three months at a time, and less than 6 months of the year in Spain, so I'm not registered on the padron and don't have residencia. I have a Spanish registered car which I drive on a UK licence.
I recently saw this article:
http://n332.es/faq-list/licensing-documentation-and-insurance/ex-15-document/
which suggests that people in my situation should carry a copy of the Ex-15 form that has been verified by the local police station.
Ex-15 is that form that needs to be completed when applying for your NIE number, which seems a bit odd.

I'm back in Spain again next week so will look into this in more detail.

As an aside, I was stopped by the police doing a roadside check last year. Their first question (in Spanish) was to ask for my NIE number. I asked if they spoke English, which they did, and they asked for my NIE and vehicle documents.
I didn't have my original NIE certificate on me, but had a photo on my phone, which they were happy with. They also asked for my address in Spain and checked my vehicle docs. I had my passport with me and showed them that as well.
They were happy and sent me on my way with a smile and a wave. It wasn't until I was driving away that I realised that they hadn't asked to see my driving licence!

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Sage wrote:I think some are misunderstanding the question.....

I already have a UK photocard driving licence.

There used to be an additional A4 size sheet called a 'Counterpart Driving Licence' which listed
* Any provisional entitlements
* Any endorsements

Both the photocard and the paper counterpart formed the UK d/licence. The paper counterpart is now obsolete. They are no longer used.

Yes, the paper counterpart to the UK license is obsolete in Spain.

Therefore Spain only requires UK drivers to carry the photo card (but not the A4 counterpart). Passport is 'officially' required to be carried though as well.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby valenciasman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:42 pm

I believe if you want to rent a car you need a code from the DVLA to enable the hire company to see your driving record.
valenciasman

Which part of Spain are you from?: villamartin

Postby Sage » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:10 am

.....and just to further complicate the issue, the photo card driving licence needs to be renewed every 10 years. It does have an expiry date on it which many people are not aware of.
Sage

Postby Jan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 am

Trotter wrote:
Jan wrote:
elchedave wrote:Am I not right in saying those paper licences are obsolete everywhere, including the UK??
Regards,
Dave

The paper licenses are not actually obsolete in the UK but those who have the photo card license don't need to keep them.
However they are obsolete in Spain as they need those of us from UK to have and carry a photo card license. I have heard though that they still need us to carry a passport with the license when driving in Spain (passport acts as an ID card).

It says this on the DVLA website:

"It’s never been mandatory for drivers to replace their traditional style paper driving licence with the photocard licence, and this will remain unchanged."

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/ ... abolished/

Hi Jan,
You've got me worried! :shock: ....My other half & I still have our old paper driving licenses and have been using these during our trips to Spain. We understand that we have to carry our passports in the car because there's no photo' on the driving licenses but didn't realise that these paper licenses had been banned for use in Spain. :o
When did this happen? What will happen if we get pulled over on our next visit? We're due to fly out in 2 weeks and probably won't be able to change our licenses in time. :?

It may only be hire companies who need the UK photocard license as it was said that some hire companies were refusing to hire with the paper counterpart only.

It seems a bit of a grey area where the police are concerned but there is a website called N332 (written by policemen who are British and work in the Spanish police force) and you can ask questions on there.
https://m.facebook.com/DrivingSpain/
www.N332.es
Jan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Quesada general discussion