Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Bank account

Bank account

Postby Danny1967 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi there

Can anyone provide any information as I am trying to open a bank account however I am being told I need a tax identification number which having spoken to the tax office in the uk they do not provide these and I cannot have a utr number as I am not self
Employed

Also is there a Halifax bank near quesada
Danny1967

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Bank account

Postby bangorbob » Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm

I just open a non resident bank account this morning with Sabadell, the information required by the bank has just changed at the start of this week, they now require your National Insurance number (which they referred to as a tax number) along with your NIE and Passport. I am changing bank as the BBVA branch in Quesada is closing, I asked why they now wanted your N.I. number and was told it's because the account is opened using this as an ID reference, because this will never change, unlike passport numbers do when they need renewed.
bangorbob

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Thu May 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Halifax banks in Spain closed a few of years ago. They were transferred to Lloyds which were then transferred to Sabadell.
As said, your UK tax reference number is your NI number (something like ab123456c).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby daz » Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm

you can just walk in to a bank and open one just like you would in the UK. as far as I know, everyone pays a non residency tax for the privilege of having a Spanish account, approx. approx 30 something euros every 2 years, taken automatically from your account. apart from that, you just have to do a bit of homework first to see which bank is best for you.

I opened a Sabadell acc in Jan 17, two days later it dawned on me their standard charge, (before any other charges) is now 10 euro a month, apparently increased from Jan 17, plus approx. 38euro for a two yearly non res tax. so roughly 139 euro a year BEFORE any other type of fees are added. so all previous Sabadell bills will of course show less fees than Jan 2017. check for your self though. on the 3rd day I CLOSED THE ACCOUNT, thankfully with no fees paid and no penalties for closing it down.

SANTANDER 123, is 6 euro a month acc fee, BUT you get 3% interest on up to 15k euros, providing you pay in 600 euro monthly from another external acc., (partners acc for example), use the bank card just twice a month (fee free), and a credit card just once every 3 months (fee free). so all in all, even if you don't have 15k euro to attract the full 3% interest, with just 3 or 4k in credit you can at least break even, have fee free banking. have a look, see for your self. good luck.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos