Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Old Lidl store

Re: Old Lidl store

Postby mondo » Mon May 15, 2017 7:56 am

clivespana wrote:Why anyone would want to pay an extra 0.75 cents on every pound staggers me. Do really want Marmite that badly.
Every pound you spend they add 0.75 so it's 1.75€
If it's marked at2£ it's 3.50£
If it's marked at 3£ it's 5.25£
The more expensive the item the extra it costs
If you buy 10£ worth it's 17.50£
It's a no brainier.

A coupla weeks ago they were selling Colgate toothpaste for 75c

I have seen the same tube at up to 4 euros each.

.. be smart, buy when on offer..

mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Jan » Mon May 15, 2017 8:26 am

mondo wrote:
clivespana wrote:Why anyone would want to pay an extra 0.75 cents on every pound staggers me. Do really want Marmite that badly.
It's a no brainier.

A coupla weeks ago they were selling Colgate toothpaste for 75c

I have seen the same tube at up to 4 euros each.

.. be smart, buy when on offer..

That's a very good price...it's 75p in UK depending where you buy. Although I have bought it for under 2 euros in consum and other stores.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Mon May 15, 2017 4:22 pm

It's a no brainier.

Well, it obviously doesn't work like that. I thought I'd go there today and see what the difference is. Yes, some items had the 75 cents "exchange rate" but loads were 1.40 to the pounds, others 1.20 to the pound and some stuff as 1 euro when marked as a pound.
We bought items ranging from tomato puree, through a deep pan pizza and up to a 24 pack of loo roll. In total, the bill came to just under €50 (€48,75 to be precise). Checked on the Iceland UK site for the prices (had to knock a couple of items off as, for example, Iceland UK don't sell Waitrose high baked water biscuits - or even wine gums (naughty me)).
A pork pie at £1 in UK was €1.40 so not 75 cents. The aforementioned Colgate was the same in euros as in pounds on the site (and even they had it on offer). Tomato puree at 1.25 euro was £1.25 at Iceland UK so some items are cheaper. All in all, the bill here was €43.75 (after removing the wine gums, water biscuits and a couple of other things) which, in pounds, would be just over £37 in UK.
Working out the UK bill came to £33.25 so a difference of £3.85 cheaper in UK or about €4.45.
Not as expensive as I'd have thought.

And the best way to get to the one at San Fulgencio is to go up the N332 past Guardamar. At the very next roundabout by the big Chinese shop, turn left marked "San Fulgencio urbanizacion" and carry on past the industrial estate. The road has a left bend and the Iceland store is just on the left.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby camionpilot » Mon May 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Another thing to factor in is that the name Iceland is used under license , it has nothing to do with the UK stores , also don't forget that the Spanish group buy at wholesale prices and therefore even more profit ..!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Re: Old Lidl

Postby Jan » Mon May 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Joyce wrote:Does anyone know what's happening to the old Lidl?

Word on this topic is that it is going to be a furniture store called jysk

https://www.jysk.es/muebles

They also have these stores in UK too if you look online.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby QUESADALAD » Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi Jill and Steve the Iceland store or as it is called overseas uk if you join the n332 at Guardamar i think its maybe the 2nd or 3rd roundabout where Nancys nightclub is you will see a Lidl store on the left drive past that and keep going and you will come to the Overseas(Iceland)shop. good luck.
QUESADALAD

Which part of Spain are you from?: golf course

Postby Jillandsteve » Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 pm

I didn't know there was an Iceland store in San Ful
Only shop at Iceland for odd stuff but regardless it does seem very popular
Oh,and corned beef, really good corned beef can be bought from the Dutch restaurant shop in Benimar
They slice it and wrap it up by the slice too and it it's really great. Same with sliced rare roast beef too
Jillandsteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 pm

The thing is, it's not so much as how expensive Iceland is but how would it compare with buying the same stuff from a Spanish supermarket. Loads isn't available, Cornish pasties, pork pies to name just two.
A couple of examples, Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies are on offer at Gama for 3 euro at the moment. Carrefour charge 5 5 euro for them. Iceland are 2 euro.
Kerrygold butter and Country Life spreadable can be bought in several Spanish supermarkets but 6 euro for 500g as opposed to 3.50 in Iceland. The corned beef in the Benimar Dutch shop is very nice but is double the price of a pack from Iceland.
I wouldn't, for example. buy the leg of lamb from Iceland because it is much cheaper in Gama or Consum.
However, a tube of tomato puree in Gama is 2.75 compared to 1.25 in Iceland.
The 50.50 bread Jan mention is 2.75 in Gama but 2.00 in Iceland (same brand).
Again, I wouldn't buy fresh veg or fruit from Iceland because it is expensive and you can get better from the Spanish shops. Same with fish (Lidl do a lovely hake in breadcrumbs, by the way).
So it depends on what you want. Tin of custard at Gama/Carrefour/AlCampo? 2 euro. Iceland 1 euro.
That's now twice I've been to Iceland this year. Probably about 4 or 5 times in the entire year but there are times you want something you are a bit familiar with. Black pudding? Once or twice a year but much cheaper in Iceland than the local butchers if you can get it. Cheese and onion slices? Lidl do some nice ones at 70 cents each but not as nice as the Iceland ones at 1.35 for two.
Etc etc.
The other good thing about the one at San Fulgencio (and it's not actually in San Fulgencio, you'd go around for ages if you went there, it's San Fulgencio urbanizacion and more like Guardamar) is that there is a Lidl, a Mercadona and a Consum on the same road so you can swap between them all to get what you want.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Ian2009 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:32 pm

:text-goodpost: will be visiting in 4 weeks - sounds like good advice to me :D
Ian2009

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dońa Pepa

Postby mondo » Tue May 16, 2017 6:24 am

If it is UK foods you want you can often get those items much cheaper than Iceland at Pick and Pay in Guardamar..just a couple of miles from Iceland...

It is just common sense to shop around.. but if you have not been to Pick and Pay it is worth a look...
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

PreviousNext