Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Things you miss from the UK

Re: Things you miss from the UK

Postby camionpilot » Thu May 11, 2017 4:21 pm

The cab drivers would never allow it ...............Taxis in Spain seem to think that have sole rights to peoples travel and oppose any changes ..!!!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Jan » Thu May 11, 2017 4:26 pm

TonTri wrote:
The only thing I miss here, in Quesada particularly, is a good public transport system. Rumours of a train station being built by Los Montesinos seems to have been wishful thinking.

Even a regular bus service which went around Quesada and the surrounding areas of Rojales, Dona Pepa and Pueblo Bravo would be very handy.

Yes that was planned and in 2005 bus stops were put in all around the area but then the idea was shelved with no reason why...leaving us like a ghost town for transport...with not even a ghost bus!

:text-lol:
Not really funny..as even the taxi's were few in those days but at least the taxi's are better now but it would be nice to have more choice. People sometimes say it's because of under-use that buses are infrequent but it would have been good to give us a chance to have a service around the urbanisation that has turned into the town of Quesada to see how it went.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 pm

camionpilot wrote:The cab drivers would never allow it ...............Taxis in Spain seem to think that have sole rights to peoples travel and oppose any changes ..!!!!

Yet Torrevieja has a really good bus service. Shame they stop at San Luis, though.
Valencia has a brilliant bus, train and metro service (yes, a lot bigger than Quesada).
It would be nice, though, to be able to go into Torrevieja for a night out (and a few beers) without the fairly high taxi prices.
I remember when we moved here some 8 years ago (from El Galan which had a good, regular coastal bus service) seeing bus stop signs being put up. About three between what is now Cooper's and La Laguna hotel and also by the Consum area. These were, for some reason, taken down about 6 months later and nary a bus to be seen.
But you're right about the taxis. You have to get one from the place you are in and can't use Quesada taxis to go to, for example, Los Montesinos and then book a return as you have to get one from there.
I suppose they are expensive because it costs a lot to get a license in the first place.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Jan » Thu May 11, 2017 4:32 pm

The fantastic bus service in Torrevieja works well alongside the taxi services there, so although I used to think it was the Taxis putting the block on the buses, I don't know now, after using the bus services in Torrevieja. They go everywhere and along the coast/beaches too like La Mata. And with the hundreds of buses coming and going from Torrevieja they even kindly send one or two to the arches each day.
:text-givemebeer:
Ps. But never at the time we would like to have a beer...like marcliff has pointed out.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby djw » Thu May 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Jan, I like Roberts bakery bread thick sliced white and wholemeal from Iceland it tastes better than 5050 that you have in the UK, pricy though.

I miss lamb at a good price.
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva

Postby marcliff » Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 pm

djw wrote:Jan, I like Roberts bakery bread thick sliced white and wholemeal from Iceland it tastes better than 5050 that you have in the UK, pricy though.

Legs of lamb were on at €6.75 a kilo in Gama in the midweek. They have regular offers on things and we tend to pick some stuff up for the freezer when we see them. Like the pork chops at €2.80 a kilo on Thursdays.
Even Consum drops the price of legs of lamb now and again and around €9 a kilo. Both places will cut them in half for you which is great for us as there are only two of us. Roast leg of lamb on a Sunday and shepherd's pie on the Monday.
(according to my supermarket, legs of lamb at Tesco are currently £10 a kilo and £8 a kilo in Asda so either about the same or less here).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Jan » Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 pm

djw wrote:Jan, I like Roberts bakery bread thick sliced white and wholemeal from Iceland it tastes better than 5050 that you have in the UK, pricy though.

Yes that's the nearest best thing (I wouldn't say it taste better than 50/50 to me though as it's wholemeal or white only and I prefer 50/50)- but I do sometimes get the wholemeal Roberts bread from the freezer in Johnson's which is slightly cheaper than Consum who also have it in the freezer.

Jan
Jan
Site Admin

Postby djw » Fri May 12, 2017 7:15 am

No they do one that has both white and wholemeal together. So 50 50 I suppose. Iceland Sanfulgencio
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva

Postby Jan » Fri May 12, 2017 7:21 am

djw wrote:No they do one that has both white and wholemeal together. So 50 50 I suppose. Iceland Sanfulgencio

Thanks will check it out next time. I thought it was wholemeal but it was a bit lighter so may have been 50/50.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby Joyce » Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 am

I must admit I prefer to buy my clothes in the UK. I come from an area where we have Mill Shops and the prices for are far far cheaper than here. Good quality clothes too. The markets here are all much the same and although I like Habaneras and La Zenia Boulevard they have cheaper shops but not very good quality. But that is my personal taste and I find I can buy most other goods from here
Joyce

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

PreviousNext