Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

RHD car

Re: RHD car

Postby emwood » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am

I changed to Spanish with my English car. Do not bother is mega expensive and your car becomes worthless.
emwood

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby earlybay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am

No one has mentioned insurance - is it more expensive? (RHD in Spain)
earlybay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Postby maria elena » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 am

We used Graham Shelton too when we brought our UK car over. Visibility a slight problem but not a major one. No problems with servicing or insurance. We're insured with Linea Directa (Direct Line).
maria elena

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Tootandploot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

We have one of each (legally I might add). The RHD was brought over because I struggled with the LHD and therefore RHD would be my preference any day. Insurance is on a par but Spanish insurance usually includes breakdown which is usually bought separately in UK.
Tootandploot

Postby Belcat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 pm

I also brought my "nearly new" R.H.D. car to Spain 17 years ago.
I used it for a couple of years after arriving, then i was involved in an accident , and it was written off.
The plus side was my insurance pay out was less than the value of the car ( at that time) , but i got more money than i could have hoped for by selling it , either in Spain or the U.K.

In recent years (not sure how true this is ) i was told that if a R.H.D. car is involved in an accident - the Guardia Civil will blame the driver in their report , even if they are not the cause of the mishap.
Apparantly , they will be biased in favour towards the spanish registered vehicle.
Belcat

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta, Torreviej

Postby Angelaandstuart » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks everybody, comprehensive reasons to or not to stick with a RHD car! Lots of points to consider before taking the plunge!
Angelaandstuart

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Finca Golf

Postby TerryG » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:13 am

The roads here are built for LHD cars. Nothing to do with nervous drivers. Try overtaking a truck or large vehicle on a busy two lane road and see how far you have to pull out to see if it`s safe enough. It`s downright dangerous.

Why make life more difficult for yourself on the road, you have enough to worry about.

The only nervous or poor drivers are the ones who can`t cope with driving a LHD car, and make all kinds of excuses as to why they prefer to drive a RHD one.
TerryG

Postby linkwater » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:10 am

I ran a RHD car for just under a year on UK plates. I found the insurance very cheap compared with the uk (I did live in a high risk area) All in all, the savings I made buying the car in the UK compared with Spain, against new lights, tyres and paperwork, it still worked out cost effective to change it over. Ongoing savings are road tax from £235 to €90 per year.
Select Air Conditioning – Mark White
Email: [email protected]
Telephone:
Fixed line: 966719362
Mobile: 647 171 531
linkwater

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby brandyboy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm

TerryG wrote:The roads here are built for LHD cars. Nothing to do with nervous drivers. Try overtaking a truck or large vehicle on a busy two lane road and see how far you have to pull out to see if it`s safe enough. It`s downright dangerous.

Why make life more difficult for yourself on the road, you have enough to worry about.

The only nervous or poor drivers are the ones who can`t cope with driving a LHD car, and make all kinds of excuses as to why they prefer to drive a RHD one.

Hi Tel, haven't seen you down the gym lately. I do agree with you re RHD against LHD.
RHD on a day to day basis will leave you in difficult situations when driving on single carriageway roads and needing to overtake, where you will have to rely on your passenger or have part of your car over the centre line before you can judge to overtake or not.
That's dangerous.
brandyboy

Postby donaduo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:33 pm

There are far more LHD cars, vans and lorries plying the roads in the UK and, especially in southern England in the summer, than there are in Spain. They do so with relative ease so, other than toll booths and barriers when on your own, do not be discouraged from taking your RHD car to Spain.
donaduo

PreviousNext

Return to Quesada general discussion