Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Iberdrola

Re: Iberdrola

Postby Chico Latino » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Then if it's not tripping in the house, there is a serious issue between the smart meter and you electric box. They can say that you are on the correct tariff, thats fine, but it does not resolve your issue. What are they going to do about it? Did they say they would look at it? Hope you get sorted, as I can feel your frustration. Good luck.
Chico Latino

Which part of Spain are you from?: Do a Pepa Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Shirleyslater wrote:It is not tripping out indoors. We wait for a few minutes or a couple of hours and it comes back on.

If the smart meter detects that you're drawing more than your contracted amount of electricity it will disconnect your supply. Nothing will 'trip' indoors, the smart meter - which is probably located on the street - will simply disconnect the supply. After a short while the meter will attempt to re-connect the supply, but if too much power is still being drawn it will remain disconnected.

Things like electric water heaters use lots of power and the thermostat will turn them on and off without you really realising that it's happening. So, you may not associate the power disconnection with a high current device being switched on.
Try disconnecting or unplugging your water heater and limit the amount of other electrical items such as kettles, microwaves, aircon etc that you use AT THE SAME TIME and see if the 'power cuts' become less frequent.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Shirleyslater » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi Pete
Thank you for this.
We will definitely try what you suggest.
Shirleyslater

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Scipio » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 am

Just what I was going to say Pete.
We had similar problems.
Now we are careful about using too many appliances together.
Sunday lunchtimes in winter were particularly bad as we had so much running at once.
Scipio

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paulr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:37 am

We had a similar problem after our Smart meter was installed, but we're on a 5.75kw supply, so couldn't understand why the supply kept tripping. We began to notice that, in addition to the odd, random cut, the supply was tripping out every evening at 8.45pm, just when the timer on our water heater kicked in. So we changed the boiler and, hey presto, no more power cuts!
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Stephen47 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:19 am

6 years in Spain. First in Gran Alacant and now Benijofar. Never experienced power cuts. (oops thats tempting fate). Perhaps you should have an electrician check things in and round your home.
Stephen47

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby costamama » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 am

One thing you could try whilst waiting for an electrician is to unplug your electric water heater and see if you still have the same problem. Also if you have an older electric oven, or older electric hob - try unplugging them. I have lived here for nearly 20 years and have found that if it isn´t any problem with electricity coming into the house, then when these appliances get older and on their way out - they can cause these shortages.

It may not be that - but it doesn´t take much time just to check.

Just a suggestion.
costamama

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Previous