Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

TAX QUERY

Re: TAX QUERY

Postby Chico Latino » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 pm

As a non resident, Sabadell also recently requested my Tax Ref number. I am reliably informed that this has a lot to do with money laundering issues. Nothing to hide, so no need to worry (for now)
Chico Latino

Which part of Spain are you from?: Do a Pepa Quesada

Postby polop » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm

I think you will find that every 2 years you will be asked to furnish income details, otherwise your account will be frozen, yes due to money laundering, also max cash payment to businesses is €1000.
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca

Postby najizan123 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:48 pm

I wasn't suggesting anyone was deliberately hiding info!

Sabadell (and La Caixa, and Santander et al!) DO know who you bank with in the UK, as that information is shared.

HMRC-wise...if you receive any income from your foreign property, then you have to fill in a UK tax return.

Not entirely sure whether you need to declare the asset on a return if you don't receive any income.
najizan123

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby TonTri » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Najizan123 do you know if the HMRC contact us to fill in a tax return or if we are supposed to ask them for one?

This is our first year of owning a property in Spain and we are renting our apartment out in the summer months and have paid all Spanish tax up to date. We are both retired so dont usually have much contact with HMRC let alone fill in any tax returns.
TonTri

Postby najizan123 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 pm

It is your responsibility to declare any income to HMRC, so you would need to fill in a self assessment form. You can do that via the Government Gateway.

HTH!
najizan123

Postby TonTri » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Cheers Najizan. As I said we have paid all our taxes so dont have anything to worry about, but I just wonder how many people voluntarily actually inform HMRC.
TonTri

Postby Stephen47 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 am

EU Directive. Part of the so called crack down on money laundering.
Of course directed at us, the soft targets! Can you imagine the big boys sending illicit money by bank transfer? Bloody bureauprats. :evil:
Stephen47

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby camionpilot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:55 am

Any one with a large sum would use bitcoin or one of other crypto currencies ...untraceable..!!!!!!!!!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Nickyh11 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 am

Whether you are tax resident or not, information will be exchanged between banks in UK & Spain. Be prepared to give your information when requested. Shouldn't be a problem for most of us!
Nickyh11

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Postby GLASSMAN » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:34 am

polop wrote:I think you will find that every 2 years you will be asked to furnish income details, otherwise your account will be frozen, yes due to money laundering, also max cash payment to businesses is €1000.
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

PreviousNext