Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

WARNING Returning our car to record car hire

WARNING Returning our car to record car hire

Postby Sillysocks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 am

last week we returned our car to record car hire they kept us waiting for half an hour then the chap came over checked inside the car then walked round to the front wheel arch where he found a mark (strange he went straight to it I am convinced this was there when we picked up the car) I went in to pay for the damage(I have got my own excess insurance have had it for years as there insurance is to expensive )which was over €400 while they were filling in the paper work I was told THAT WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE Out OUR INSURANCE
In future I am going to take a flash light and check every nook and cranny!!!
I have asked for the claime form from my own uk excess car insurance this is the first time I have put in a claim so I just hope they will refund my money HAS ANYONE MADE A CLAIM ON UK CAR EXCESS AND HAVE HAD THE COST REFUNDED
Sillysocks

Which part of Spain are you from?: WORCESTER

Re: WARNING Returning our car to record car hire

Postby marcliff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 am

Yes. I hit the hidden by rainwater pothole from Hell in UK and damaged an alloy wheel and blew a tyre.
Insurance4carhire paid out the cost straight away and didn't even ask for receipts as it was less then £200.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby EnglishRose » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up. My next car hire is with Record so I'll check the car over with a fine tooth comb before driving off! My last hire was with Firefly who I usually use. This time though they took £10 from my credit card without an explanation. After contacting them several times they informed me it was because I did not return the car with a full tank of petrol. Apparently it was down by 1/8th. Not sure how as I filled to the brim before returning but didn't have the receipt to prove it as was informed at return that all OK and an email to say the same would be issued so I didn't think to keep hold of the petrol receipt. Needless to say I didn't get that promised email so should have been a bit more cautious before I disposed of the paperwork.... lesson learned!
EnglishRose

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby SharonSpain » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm

We also learned the hard way. Take photos before you drive it away from every angle possible.
SharonSpain

Postby avoncliffe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Sillysocks

"In future, I am going to take a flash light and check every nook and cranny!!!"

Yes we have been stung exactly the same way by Record since when we have taken a flash light and checked the care well before much to the annoyance of the hire company we have hired from. It is difficult to say anything in that car park they operate out of at Alicante airport.

Vera and Geoff
avoncliffe

Postby manxmunk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 pm

One big problem when picking up vehicles from the airports, is the poor lighting. Unless you have an LED light with you it is almost impossible to see the majority of these scratches and dents. The rental companies should have an adequate inspection light upon collection, and also a member of their staff available at the pick up point in order to point out any discrepancies found. It's not only annoying, it is time consuming to be running back and forth from the car parks to the booking desks to report any damage that they fail to list. :x
manxmunk

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby Ron Hill » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 am

Goldcar seem to be the worst of the airport hire firms for doing this. always get an inspection if poss and take pics of any damage these will be date and time stamped on your phone for proof. I did this and got £250.00 back for damage Goldcar claimed I had done and took from my credit card. You'll also find this forum is full of similar cons by airport hire firms
Ron Hill

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Stephen47 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 am

Don't only check for dents and scratches also CHECK the Aerial is in place as well! And screw it off as these are regularly stolen. Otherwise thats 40€ for a replacement!
Stephen47

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby Paulr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am

I've never hired from the Spanish car hire company, Goldcar, as they've been a Which? Worst Buy for years, repeatedly scoring the lowest customer rating of the extensive list of companies reviewed.

Link to interesting article below, especially the point about, "The report also said that when damage did occur, customers were to be sent evidence of it and how the repair cost had been calculated, and have the opportunity to challenge it before their credit card was debited."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advic ... r-act-out/
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby steely » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am

Exactly the same experience with Goldcar. Vehicle did not have an unmarked panel when we picked it up, 200 euro for a two inch scratch I'm convinced was there already. Long drawn out affair, but did eventually get a refund via UK cover. Cheers.
steely

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin/Largs

Next