Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Help with changing light switch

Re: Help with changing light switch

Postby Roach » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks pete i will have a look again in daylight and forward more details as necessary.
Roach

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Miguel

Postby Roach » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 am

PeteKnight wrote:Without more details, including photos of each switch, it's difficult to know exactly how your system is wired.

In the photo you've posted there are 4 wires, but two of them are connected to the same terminal on the switch. In the switch that has 4 grey wires, do these connect to four different terminals on the switch, or are some of them connected into the same terminal on the switch?

You should take a look at this website:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching
Compare your wiring to the various diagrams - my guess is that you have a variation on the "Traveller" system - and see if it helps you make more sense of the wiring.

You really need a test meter and a length of wire to allow you to trace which wire is which (with the power off and the the wires disconnected from the switches. You'll need to label each wire first so you know how they are wired at the moment.

Grey wires are generally used to identify the switched live. If you look at the light fitting in the ceiling you'll probably find a neutral (blue or black) and a switched live (grey) wire. The grey will connect back to one of the switches and one of the switched will have a live feed (probably brown).

Pete.

Hi Pete. The black switch in the picture used to be the 2nd switch with the 4 grey wires going into it. 1 wire for each quarter or section. As the replacement switch only has 3 points, this is where i think the problem lies and i will have to see if they do a switch of the same type with 4 points (as per the original).

The other picture is of switch number 3 in the room. This was wired in similar fashion to the one it replaced. I don't think the problem lies here.

The 1st switch had two cables going into one section to begin with. One cable came from the roof direction, and the other trailed off to the right. I am assuming the second cable goes to carry the live to the other switches and/or light? Either way this was wired up in a similar fashion to the switch it replaced.

And yes i think you are right in that it is a variation of the traveller system.

Thanks
Roach

Postby Roach » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 am

All sorted now thanks to all.
Roach

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Glad to hear it. Well done.

Pete.