Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

New shopping mall

Re: New shopping mall

Postby brandyboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:00 pm

When I´m in the UK the thing I miss is the couple of cups of coffee I have daily in Spain at €1.20 per cup (apart from the sun, of course).
Costa, Starbucks, Café Neru and whoever, sell rubbish coffee at unbelievably high prices, it´s almost a pilgrimage for some people to go to these places. For me it´s like lambs to the slaughter.
I was shocked to see Starbucks open in Habaneras. Why, when you are an escalator ride away from excellent coffee, would you pay such an inflated price for coffee? Madness.
brandyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paulr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Why does a simple and, I thought, comical comment about the new shopping mall have to descend into a litany of personal insults?

I worked for 43 years in the UK, 30 of them in the RAF. After I'd paid considerable sums of income tax and National Insurance contributions, I would do my weekly shop in Sainsburys, but I went to Waitrose for my meat because, quite simply, the quality is superb and, FOR ME, I felt it was worth paying the extra - this CHOICE didn't make me "idle", nor "rich". If my budget had allowed, I would have done my entire shop in Waitrose, because it was on my doorstep, but I was happy with the quality of the majority of produce in other supermarkets. If the supermarkets closest to me had been Morrisons or Asda, I'd have been happy to do my weekly shop in those. I wouldn't criticise people who made an alternative choice.

And I've easily translated my personal choices to living in Spain, where it's common to use a variety of shops, rather than being able to get everything in one place. I never shopped in Lidl in the UK, but I think the quality of their shops in Spain is very good and represents excellent value for money. Consum is great for a general shop, but I think Mercadonna has the best fish counter. Again, my personal choices: please don't vilify me for them.

I think it would be lovely to have a Spanish deli in Quesada, with speciality Spanish wines, meats and cheeses - but perhaps those who criticise Waitrose and Marks & Sparks' shoppers would tell me that I should be getting those things in the supermarkets? And that may be the knub of the problem - a dominance of British nationals living in Quesada will probably end up influencing which retailers can afford to open and sustain a business there.

I think people genuinely on the "bread-line" in the UK (and Spain) would probably be appalled at people who can afford to own property in Spain, whether resident or holiday home owners, criticising each other for their shopping habits :shock:
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Dave c » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Very well put Paulr each to their own I agree I had never been in a lidls in England but after going in one in Spain and liking it I also use it at home now for certain things.
Dave c

Postby Jordy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Paulr wrote:Why does a simple and, I thought, comical comment about the new shopping mall have to descend into a litany of personal insults?

I worked for 43 years in the UK, 30 of them in the RAF. After I'd paid considerable sums of income tax and National Insurance contributions, I would do my weekly shop in Sainsburys, but I went to Waitrose for my meat because, quite simply, the quality is superb and, FOR ME, I felt it was worth paying the extra - this CHOICE didn't make me "idle", nor "rich". If my budget had allowed, I would have done my entire shop in Waitrose, because it was on my doorstep, but I was happy with the quality of the majority of produce in other supermarkets. If the supermarkets closest to me had been Morrisons or Asda, I'd have been happy to do my weekly shop in those. I wouldn't criticise people who made an alternative choice.

And I've easily translated my personal choices to living in Spain, where it's common to use a variety of shops, rather than being able to get everything in one place. I never shopped in Lidl in the UK, but I think the quality of their shops in Spain is very good and represents excellent value for money. Consum is great for a general shop, but I think Mercadonna has the best fish counter. Again, my personal choices: please don't vilify me for them.

I think it would be lovely to have a Spanish deli in Quesada, with speciality Spanish wines, meats and cheeses - but perhaps those who criticise Waitrose and Marks & Sparks' shoppers would tell me that I should be getting those things in the supermarkets? And that may be the knub of the problem - a dominance of British nationals living in Quesada will probably end up influencing which retailers can afford to open and sustain a business there.

I think people genuinely on the "bread-line" in the UK (and Spain) would probably be appalled at people who can afford to own property in Spain, whether resident or holiday home owners, criticising each other for their shopping habits :shock:

:text-goodpost:
Jordy

Postby Spiritsmum » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Don't forget the Quesada family originally wanted an international town...this is what they got...it would be nice to see some international shops not just British, hopefully we already are using the Spanish supermarkets
Spiritsmum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Spiritsmum wrote:Don't forget the Quesada family originally wanted an international town...this is what they got...it would be nice to see some international shops not just British, hopefully we already are using the Spanish supermarkets

We have a couple of German supermarkets (Lidl and Aldi), there is a Belgian bakery, a Polish/Russian food shop, Hungarian restaurants, Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, Indian restaurants, a Danish furniture shop just to name a few. Carrefour is French as is AlCampo.
How much more international do you want it?
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby donaduo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 pm

marcliff wrote:
Spiritsmum wrote:Don't forget the Quesada family originally wanted an international town...this is what they got...it would be nice to see some international shops not just British, hopefully we already are using the Spanish supermarkets

We have a couple of German supermarkets (Lidl and Aldi), there is a Belgian bakery, a Polish/Russian food shop, Hungarian restaurants, Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, Indian restaurants, a Danish furniture shop just to name a few. Carrefour is French as is AlCampo.
How much more international do you want it?

Shouldn’t you be telling all those foreign Johnny’s to return to their homelands if they want the occasional piece of Home comfort?

Remember writing this?

“This is SPAIN you choose to live here. Become Spannish, look what has happened to the UK everybody wants to bring their old country with them. IT CANNOT WORK. BE SPANNISH. there foods and wine are equal to anything in Waitrose or M&S. If you feel so strongly MOVE BACK”

Is it only the British, that you want to deny?
donaduo

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 pm

donaduo wrote:
Remember writing this?

“This is SPAIN you choose to live here. Become Spannish, look what has happened to the UK everybody wants to bring their old country with them. IT CANNOT WORK. BE SPANNISH. there foods and wine are equal to anything in Waitrose or M&S. If you feel so strongly MOVE BACK”

Is it only the British, that you want to deny?

No, I don't remember writing that. Possibly because I didn't. Emwood, on the other hand, might remember it.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby maisiesdad » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm

:D :D :D
maisiesdad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby gautig » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi, I am not English but like to read this forum, it always surprises me. When I came to Spain 4 years ago I met an English gentelmen and I asked him how good is life in Spain. He said there is only one problem here and that is the Spanish people.
gautig

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

PreviousNext