Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

MERCADONA

Re: MERCADONA

Postby JoJa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 am

Yes but my bottle of red wine cost €2.05 two weeks ago now the same bottle is €2.50, 0.45c per bottle increase!!! I can only have 2 bottles per night now instead of my usual 3!!! :(
(Mind you, they've changed the label!).
JoJa

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Fiesta

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 am

JoJa wrote:Yes but my bottle of red wine cost €2.05 two weeks ago now the same bottle is €2.50, 0.45c per bottle increase!!! I can only have 2 bottles per night now instead of my usual 3!!! :(

:text-lol:

Out of interest, in England they are trying to pass a law that no bottle of wine should cost less than £4.50!!
At the moment I pay a cheapish £3.99 for the wine I prefer in UK in Lidls. The wine I buy in Spain Lidls is 95c a bottle and the exact same bottle in UK Lidls is £3.19...the cheapest wine I've found in UK.
It may sound weird (I am weird LOL) but I will not pay £3.19 in UK for wine I can get in Spain for 95c...I would rather pay a bit more...strange I know.

Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby keithkwll » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 pm

the price of Butter in Lidl increase at the same time as Mercadona
keithkwll

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby jpeg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Jan wrote:
JoJa wrote:Yes but my bottle of red wine cost €2.05 two weeks ago now the same bottle is €2.50, 0.45c per bottle increase!!! I can only have 2 bottles per night now instead of my usual 3!!! :(

Out of interest, in England they are trying to pass a law that no bottle of wine should cost less than £4.50!!
At the moment I pay a cheapish £3.99 for the wine I prefer in UK in Lidls. The wine I buy in Spain Lidls is 95c a bottle and the exact same bottle in UK Lidls is £3.19...the cheapest wine I've found in UK.
It may sound weird (I am weird LOL) but I will not pay £3.19 in UK for wine I can get in Spain for 95c...I would rather pay a bit more...strange I know.

The diferrence is down to the fact that UK puts a heavy tax on wine but Spain has no tax on wine
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Quote Jpeg: The diferrence is down to the fact that UK puts a heavy tax on wine but Spain has no tax on wine
:text-lol:quote

Do you know what Freddo I didn't know that!
I've lived in the UK all these years and been paying an absolute fortune for alcoholic beverages and didn't realise it was highly taxed.. ;)
Jan
Site Admin

Postby marcliff » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm

If you buy a bottle of wine for a fiver in UK, the cost of the wine will be 37p.
Logistics and packaging comes to 56p.
VAT puts 83p on it.
Excise duty adds another £2.16
Profit for the retailer is £1.08
So that's where the fiver goes.
Buy one for £10 and the cost of the wine rises to about 90p.
Spain only puts IVA (VAT) on wine and beer.
Oh, Jan, if you buy that same 95c bottle in Lidl in the cardboard cartons then it's only 65c. I use the red for cooking.

And those who are wondering why butter has gone up should read this: (PS) Looking at my supermarket and the cheapest Tesco brand for unsalted butter is £1.60 for 250g.

Rising Cost of Butter
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paulr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:13 pm

A good summary of the forces at play causing UK supermarket price hikes - very little to do with supermarket greed, much more to do with economic forces:

https://www.ft.com/content/84807466-c91 ... 9fb7d6163e

And the lastest OCU supermarket survey, summarised in El Pais:

//elpais.com/elpais/2017/09/28/inenglish/1506592992_095409.html

Interesting to see that Lidl has the highest price increases in Spain. Having shopped in Alcampo at La Zenia for the first time last week, I can vouch for how cheap it is - my better half's favourite bottle of Gran Cremant fizz in Consum for Eu 5.99 is only Eu 4.60 in Alcampo. Just trying to work out whether she drinks enough of it to make it worth the extra time and petrol to get to La Zenia every week instead of Benijofar..... :D
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

marcliff wrote:If you buy a bottle of wine for a fiver in UK, the cost of the wine will be 37p.
Logistics and packaging comes to 56p.
VAT puts 83p on it.
Excise duty adds another £2.16
Profit for the retailer is £1.08
So that's where the fiver goes.
Buy one for £10 and the cost of the wine rises to about 90p.
Spain only puts IVA (VAT) on wine and beer.
Oh, Jan, if you buy that same 95c bottle in Lidl in the cardboard cartons then it's only 65c. I use the red for cooking.

And those who are wondering why butter has gone up should read this: (PS) Looking at my supermarket and the cheapest Tesco brand for unsalted butter is £1.60 for 250g.

Rising Cost of Butter

:text-goodpost:

I have definitely noticed the price rise in butter. Was paying 89 to 99p depending where buying, now, as you say, we can't get it much less than £1.60 and thats only happened in the last 2 months. Not a gradual rise either, just straight to 60p more.
Jan
Site Admin

Postby Martin the artist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 pm

emwood wrote:Has anybody else noticed the NEW shower gel in MERCADONA gone are the previous 1 litre bottles for 99cents. NOW the NEW range ONLY 750 ml that's 25% LESS and the price is on average 1.45 euro. 45% INCREASE NOT BAD EH?

I have just checked in Mercadonna & their old 'familiar' shower gel has been replaced by a range of gel de baño wihich are all 1 litre size and cheapest is 'frutal' for 1€ :)
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Previous