Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Mr Monks meeting in Brussels last Thursday .

Mr Monks meeting in Brussels last Thursday .

Postby camionpilot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Statement issued at a meeting at Rojales town hall by Mr Monk last week where community and urbanisations leaders had been invited to attend:

Last Thursday, 30th November, I had the pleasure of being one of the four guest speakers at the European Parliament Committee of the Regions in Brussels. I was nominated by the Valencian Regional Government to represent the British citizens residing in Spain affected by Brexit. The main issue was citizens rights, the right to vote and to stand in Local Elections, although I was invited to address the wider issues involved. I expressed the concerns of all of us who took advantage of moving to Spain to live within the spirit of freedom of movement and labour, which now senior politicians negotiating terms of the breakaway, are using us as pawns to arrive at their ultimate goals. I expressed anger at this and pleaded for an end to this holding us as hostages to achieve other objectives. The Committee of the Regions has over 300 delegates representing regional councils in all 28 countries and the hall was packed. I explained who I was, what I did and where Rojales is and its fairly unique breakdown of the population as Britons outnumber the Spanish and the town has a unique blend of more than 80 countries on the Padrón. I also asked for consideration to be given to offer dual nationality for those interested or some form of European citizenschip to ensure no future change of governments could seek to amend the agreements and to preserve our rights. The other speakers were a Portugueses councillor who is deputy mayor of Lambeth Council, an Irish delegate who adressed the issue of the North/South Ireland border hot popato, and the president of the Madrid Regional Government who adressed the issue of companies whishing to change head offices from the UK to Europe. More than 30 delegates raised issues, which apparently is a record, and we were asked to summarise prior to winding up the debate.
I felt honoured on behalf of the British community, and for Rojales too to be spotlighted, to be selected to contribuite to the proceedings and hope to have made some sort of impact. The president of the Madrid region is very close to the president of the National Government in Spain, so I hope through her something of what I said filters through.On another issue, it has been stressed that the Padrón is to be used to determine who will covered under agreements reached eventually in Brussels. Please, therefore would you ask those you represent to check if they are on the Padrón. The British numbers have reduced from 8,000 to 6,000, and it is felt that failure to reregister could be largely responsible for this. People can go to the Town Hall between 9 a.m. ansd 2 p.m. Monday to Friday, on the first floor to check or come to the Municipal Centre if more convenient. This in fact also applies to all countries, not just the British. The more we have on the Padron, the more funds Central Government allocates to the Town Hall. It is in all our interests.It would be very grateful if you would pass all this information to as many people as possible.Thank youDerek MonksCouncillor Public participation, Integration and Coordination of Urbanisations
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Re: Mr Monks meeting in Brussels last Thursday .

Postby scubydoo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-goodpost: :text-goodpost: :text-goodpost:
scubydoo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Jan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Interesting but I didn't realise you were a speaker at the
European Parliament Committee camionpilot..*
:text-lol:

*Please link to the source of your articles or information when posting.
Thank you.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby camionpilot » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 am

This was a statement issued at a meeting at Rojales town hall with Mr Monk last week where community and urbanisations leaders had been invited to attend., so you missed your invite then ?
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby mondo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:09 am

Good lad that Mr Monks..

mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Jan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am

camionpilot wrote:This was a statement issued at a meeting at Rojales town hall with Mr Monk last week where community and urbanisations leaders had been invited to attend., so you missed your invite then ?

Thank you - I have updated your post to show the source of the statement.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa