Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

door to door collecting

door to door collecting

Postby garysl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Just (2 minutes ago) had a man at the gate, telling me he was from Rojales ayuntamiento. He asked me to read a notice, but I didn't have my glasses, so I went in for them. The notice said he was collecting for orphaned children, or something like that, so I just said "No" and he went. I don't believe the town hall send people round collecting and his only ID appeared to be a photocopy of something with the Rojales coat of arms on. This was in Benimar.
garysl

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Re: door to door collecting

Postby camionpilot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Chancer .. Door to door canvasing/ collecting money for charities is illegal in Spain ...!!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Shiva » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 pm

camionpilot wrote:Chancer .. Door to door canvasing/ collecting money for charities is illegal in Spain ...!!!

You are undoubtedly correct... But to advise all of us, and a lot of soft hearted folk, who would like to help the less fortunate, does anyone know for sure on this ( pause, I look to Marcliff as an authority on all
legalistic stuff Spanish.... ) I.e are there ANY circumstances where someone collecting may be real rather than just a scam artist? What is the law on this in Spain?
Shiva

Postby Jan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Whether its illegal or not, I wouldn't give money on the doorstep in the UK and wouldn't in Spain either. There are many ways to give to a charity of choice and that way we can be sure they are genuine.

The doorstep charity collector 'scam' in Quesada (and no doubt other areas) has been going on for years. I seem to remember someone on the forum on a similar topic checking this out with the authorities. They usually show a list of house numbers and the amounts that has been given to try to make us feel guilty!

Check out the related topics on bottom of this page.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Curious » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 am

The last collector that came to my house collecting for children’s charity had a list of addresses of people who paid and they each donated €20!! Smelling a rat, namely the collector, I politely declined.
Curious

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Scipio » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:51 am

I always tell them that I donate to charities directly from my bank account and not at my door/gate.
If you live on a private urb they shouldn't be there uninvited.
They cèrtainly shouldn't enter your gate.
Scipio

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby AMK » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 am

I'm sorry, but I am suspicious of all charities in Spain, even the high-street ones.

Like estate agents here, they appear to be largely unregulated and audited, with many stories about fake and fly-by-night ones. I think the last one was a story of a pop-up shop in Torrie that fronted as one of the well-known national charities....but wasn't....

So, my personal opinion is that it's best to give at a location where you can see the support work actually being done.
AMK

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Spiritsmum » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:07 pm

It IS illegal, we have asked at the town hall, the Spanish want to know when we will wake up and smell the coffee, if you want to give to charity, there are plenty of charities...legal ones out there.
Spiritsmum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Niktam » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm sure it's the same guy I gave 20 euros to must be 10 years ago and the next time he came he just left when I said no. Good idea say you are getting your cash and then(if you are happy to)take a picture of him.
Niktam

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby camionpilot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 am

Older gent trots round Dona Pepa 2 every year ..gets short thrift in our community ..!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada