Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Beware kennel cough about!

Beware kennel cough about!

Postby Sunny B » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:49 am

A lovely lady I meet in the mornings whilst walking my dogs kindly made me aware that there’s kennel cough about and to take care.
Needing to refresh my memory about this highly contagious infection, I came across the following website which i found quite useful so thought I’d share it here. If we can all be sensible and vigilan it should help limit the spread and the discomfort that dogs experience if they catch it.
https://petairapy.com/canine-cough-kenn ... h-in-dogs/
Hope that’s helpful to all.
Priscilla
Sunny B

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Beware kennel cough about!

Postby Spiritsmum » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm

yes both of ours have had it, they have recovered now but we are going to get them vaccinated as one of mine caught it last year. I have not been to the dog park since as didn't want to spread it any further
Spiritsmum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Sunny B » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Yes agree, I think I’lm going to discuss with our vet about getting ours done too. Although it doesn’t protect them 100% I think I’m right in saying it provides a certain level of protection, which is better than nothing.
Sunny B

Postby Mcmuk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Vets push KK vaccines but the reality is they are largely ineffective as strains of the virus vary from location to location.

I have two large dogs which are in kennels at least 5 times per year. Never been vaccinated and never had it. If your dog gets it you treat them like a human with Benilyn as KK is a self limiting condition
Mcmuk

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Dinkelharper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 am

I have all my dogs vaccinated for kennel cough. If given correctly it gives a very good protection. In Sweden it is a requirement and if not given you face quite hefty fines and possibly prosecution and dog taken away from you. First year they should get three shots. 8 week old, 3 months old and then at their first birthday. Then continue once a year and they should not get it. Leaving dogs at kennels that don't require proof of vaccinations is on the owner and the owner alone. I for one would NEVER leave my dogs at a kennel that don't require all vaccinations. Why take such chances? It is not only kennel cough they can catch at such shady kennels, Rabies, Leishmania and leptospirosis are just a few examples. I rather fly down family or friends to take care of my animals if I need to go away and can't take them with me. Never at a kennel! Who would not want a little free vacation in exchange of taking care of a friends pet?
Dinkelharper

Which part of Spain are you from?: Elche

Postby Dinkelharper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 am

Mcmuk wrote:Vets push KK vaccines but the reality is they are largely ineffective as strains of the virus vary from location to location.

I have two large dogs which are in kennels at least 5 times per year. Never been vaccinated and never had it. If your dog gets it you treat them like a human with Benilyn as KK is a self limiting condition

Maybe you should consider vaccinating them anyway. Would you not vaccinate a human baby?
Dinkelharper

Postby Sunny B » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 am

Dinkelharper wrote:I have all my dogs vaccinated for kennel cough. If given correctly it gives a very good protection. In Sweden it is a requirement and if not given you face quite hefty fines and possibly prosecution and dog taken away from you. First year they should get three shots. 8 week old, 3 months old and then at their first birthday. Then continue once a year and they should not get it. Leaving dogs at kennels that don't require proof of vaccinations is on the owner and the owner alone. I for one would NEVER leave my dogs at a kennel that don't require all vaccinations. Why take such chances? It is not only kennel cough they can catch at such shady kennels, Rabies, Leishmania and leptospirosis are just a few examples. I rather fly down family or friends to take care of my animals if I need to go away and can't take them with me. Never at a kennel! Who would not want a little free vacation in exchange of taking care of a friends pet?
Sunny B

Postby Mcmuk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:40 pm

My dogs get all the "proven" vacs as described Leptospirosis, Parvo,Rabies etc.I get these because they spend a month a year in Spain. However KK is a morphing viral infection. What this means is you cannot immunise against it because it presents in different forms. The example of immunisation of children is totally spurious as the baby vacs target a specific condition and are effective. KK is the equivalent of what we call a URTI which people get a few times a year they go to the GPs who tell them to drink lots of fluids and it will pass. Speak with registered dog breeders and ask them not vets if KK is effective and you will get a non biased opinion
Mcmuk

Postby Mcmuk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/th ... h-vaccine/

I have attached some further reading around KK
Mcmuk

Postby Dinkelharper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:07 pm

I currently have 3 dogs and have previously had lots of dogs and some have had puppies. Different breeds and they have all been vaccinated as described above and none of the dogs, in total 14 dogs have never had any KK. Maybe Sweden have better vaccines?!? Of course Leishmania and leptospirosis doesn't really affect dogs in Sweden but my dogs have still gotten the vaccines. Rabies is extinct in Sweden since many years back but the vaccine is still required for all dogs.
Dinkelharper

Next