Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Cats

Cats

Postby wobblypete » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:08 pm

When i moved to Quesada well over 20 years ago very few people lived here & no Cats, no one to feed them. Now although nobody in my vicinity owns a cat myself & several neighbours are inundated with them. The problem i have with them is they come into my walled off garden, boy can they jump or climb walls, Defecate, Urinate, Vomit over Garden furniture cusions, or at the least leave Cat fleas & ticks behind. At night they wake us up Hissing & screaming at each other. Try to eat outside on a nice day they appear from no where & steal food from off your plate if you look away for an instant. Today my Wife left the front door open for a few minutes to hang out washing. A large Ginger Cat came in the house, & where my Wife Breeds Budgies in Cages in our Glazed Terrace, It was up on it's Hind legs trying to get the Chicks out of the Nest Boxes. Now i know Cat lovers will say this is natural there comes a point where one has to try to do something to stop it, Not water Pistols etc. Does anyone know of a pest control company that can solve this problem. Now all the Cat lovers can send all their abuse to me.
wobblypete

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Cats

Postby Quesadasteve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Get a dog ??? ....only been here 3 months ...never see a cat round here ....but my partner feeds some wild ones down on some local waste ground
Quesadasteve

Postby michelle3934841 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi . I love cant and have 3 but can see where you are coming from , yes I agree with Quesada Steve have you thought about a dog .
michelle3934841

Postby elchedave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Quesadasteve,
Your wife is wrong to feed the feral cats, firstly, they are helping rid the area of vermin, certain areas around the golf course are starting to have problems with rats, not wholely but partly due to the fact that those cats, if fed, become lazy & will not kill & eat virmin. Secondly, it is against the law & I know of a couple who were feeding a feral cat some leftover snack whilst walking home from Rojales, the Policia local saw them & issued them with a €200 on the spot fine. I personally (waiting for the flack from so called cat lovers) would not hesitate to report anyone I saw feeding these feral cats.
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Quesadasteve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:51 pm

elchedave wrote:Quesadasteve,
Your wife is wrong to feed the feral cats, firstly, they are helping rid the area of vermin, certain areas around the golf course are starting to have problems with rats, not wholely but partly due to the fact that those cats, if fed, become lazy & will not kill & eat virmin. Secondly, it is against the law & I know of a couple who were feeding a feral cat some leftover snack whilst walking home from Rojales, the Policia local saw them & issued them with a €200 on the spot fine. I personally (waiting for the flack from so called cat lovers) would not hesitate to report anyone I saw feeding these feral cats.

Hi Dave
Thanks for info re fines ....didn't know that

Yes I would get your flack jacket on :D
Cheers
Steve
Quesadasteve

Postby marcliff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Around our way it's not the feral ones but the pets. People let them out all the time to wander round and make their mess on other people's gardens or throwing up on outside furniture and so on.
Now, they will say "oh, it's only natural and there's nothing we can do". Well, there is. Leave a bed outside on your balcony and put a big litter tray with sand in your garden. Train it to go in there. If people can't look after pets they shouldn't have them.
The feral ones were being fed by well-meaning but misguided people. They would have kittens which got diseases and lived a terrible and very short life.
We had a programme whereby the feral ones would be rounded up, the vet by Consum would spay them and give them one inoculation which, eventually, got rid of the problem. Residents were constantly warned about feeding them (but still did). Now, as said, the only problem are the so-called pet ones.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby elchedave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm

You're welcome Steve.
I am not anti cat, I have had pet cats myself, nor am I against people who THINK they are helping by feeding these feral cats, most of these people just need to understand what they are doing is actually making matters worse. The more the feral cats are hand fed, the less they hunt vermin & the more they breed which clearly makes both issues worse. Unfortunately, there are a small number of "do gooders" who travel around by car, cycle & even on foot, to various sites & leave food & water for the cats. These people rarely, if ever, do this close to where they live, preferring to leave other people/Areas to suffer.
Regards,
Dave.
elchedave

Postby paul--bennett » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Does anybody know how to deter cats, to stop them leaving me piles of poo every night
paul--bennett

Postby GLASSMAN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 pm

its illegal to feed stray cats on public land, its Not illegal to feed stray cats on your own property,
you can also obtain a licence,if any still avialable from Torrevieja council to feed strays.
it is easy to train your cat , I go out with my cat ,upteen times a day,it comes home and uses its litter tray,its the owners NOT the cats fault,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby elchedave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Glassman, the original post was regarding cats in Quesada which comes under Rojales, not Torrevieja & I do believe I have an read articles in the press where Torrevieja council are taking a hard(er) stance on feeding feral/stray cats.
There has also been a cull in some municipalities as the feral cat situation is becoming out of hand.
Regards,
Dave.
elchedave

Next