Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Japanese Kerosene Heater availability

Advertise here for free any unwanted/secondhand items that you would like to sell or buy. For example: Household items/Bicycles/Garden furniture etc. Please include prices and photos, if possible.

Japanese Kerosene Heater availability

Postby Macosan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Can anyone provide information regarding suppliers and availability of Japanese style Kerosene (Paraffin) Inverter heaters? I believe these are a very safe and economical means of heating but can't find any details of local suppliers.
Macosan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Japanese Kerosene Heater availability

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:31 pm

There’s a real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning from any type of kerosene heater that doesn’t have a flue which is vented to the outside.
The fuel is also quite flammable (and smelly) and you may find that your insurance policy doesn’t cover the use of kerosene for heating.

Persoally I wouldn’t touch it (or a free-standing gas heater) with a barge pole.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Macosan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:49 pm

When did you last research Kerosene Heaters Pete? 1970?
Things have moved on from the "Aladin" type of heaters you describe. These are electronically controlled, fan assisted, emit virtually no smell, use very little fuel which is contained in a sealed tank, have automatic CO2 cut out sensors and can cost up to £400.00 in the UK. They are perfectly safe when used as instructed and are widely used throughout Japan.
Take a look :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ozxof7U5W8
These are available in the UK but I've not spotted any local stockists here in the Quesada vicinity.
Macosan

Postby asitis0_1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 pm

This time of year they normaly have them in Aki at Habaneras in Torrevieja

http://www.aki.es/productos/calefaccion ... accesorios

You should use a Co detector with anything that has a flame, I would fit a Combination Smoke & CO Alarm they cost around 40 euros to buy and are battery operated.
asitis0_1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 2

Postby PeteKnight » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Macosan wrote:When did you last research Kerosene Heaters Pete? 1970?
Things have moved on from the "Aladin" type of heaters you describe. These are electronically controlled, fan assisted, emit virtually no smell, use very little fuel which is contained in a sealed tank, have automatic CO2 cut out sensors and can cost up to £400.00 in the UK. They are perfectly safe when used as instructed and are widely used throughout Japan.
Take a look :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ozxof7U5W8
These are available in the UK but I've not spotted any local stockists here in the Quesada vicinity.

Out of curiosity, following a post on another forum, I did quite a bit of research last winter.
If you read articles about westerners who have encountered these for the first time when visiting Japan their comments are quite enlightening.
The fan assisted units are much better than the old fashioned heaters that were popular when I was a kid, but one drawback is that they don’t work without mains power. If you have a peer cut you could find yourself without any form of heating.
Regardless of whether the heater is modern or old fashioned, or is powered by kerosene or bottled has, if you burn a flammable substance indoors without a flue the Products of Combustion have nowhere to go other than into the atmosphere within the house. This means that the carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and other potentially harmful gases and particles are concentrated into a confined space and breathed in by you.

Feel free to subject yourself to that if you wish, but they spcertainly aren’t for me.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Postby Macosan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:39 pm

asitis0_1 wrote:This time of year they normaly have them in Aki at Habaneras in Torrevieja

http://www.aki.es/productos/calefaccion ... accesorios

You should use a Co detector with anything that has a flame, I would fit a Combination Smoke & CO Alarm they cost around 40 euros to buy and are battery operated.
Macosan

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Here you go, somebody has got the right idea and his selling his heater on this forum. A snip at €80!
items-for-sale-in-and-around-torrevieja-f65/electric-fan-assisted-paraffin-heater-t22805.html#p98164
PeteKnight