Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

naivety re coronavirus

naivety re coronavirus

Postby anthomo16 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am

Maybe I am naive? However why can't some of our members who are interested have discussions with the Town Hall re each person being responsible for 1 street. That person would need to be tested for the virus first (and other countries are doing this within 3 hours not 3 days) when they are free of the virus, they can be given masks gloves etc, bags and labels and swabs.
They would need to liaise with the Town Hall to see which houses are occupied and by how many members so that swabs can be taken from each member labeled with their name put into a larger bag with their name and address to be sent off to be tested (obviously the TH will have to have notified those houses that the elected person will be coming on such and such a date and rough time) Those houses which are used solely as holiday homes will have to have a notice put into their letter boxes to present themselves or to notify the TH when they next arrive. Or perhaps if they are on a Community their President can give addresses.
Yes a lot of work, but it will be better in the long run to know who is and who isnt infected. At the moment the authorities are waiting for directives from "head office" so to speak surely it would be better to start to take some initiative now?
Also whilst I am on this little rant how about we support the little spanish shops for our every day needs, it seems to me that all the supermarkets want is the hoarders money, they are not concerned who goes without. Better to shop for your needs at a local Spanish shop to show your support.
OK rant over - I know it would be a lot of work and I am sure there are loads of you out there, me included, who would be delighted to co-ordinate such an event. I cannot take an outside part as I am a) elderly and b) have COPD but, my brain still works. Surely some brainstorming can be done to see if we can help with this situation?
Maybe naive but better than doing nothing!
anthomo16

Which part of Spain are you from?: ciudad quesada

Re: naivety re coronavirus

Postby GLASSMAN » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 pm

agree,support the small Spanish shops,
I don't think all people would co-operate on the swab taking idea,and taking info/orders from one member of the street, if it was made compulsory yes ! and swabs collected by a doctor assisted by the Guarda Civil yes, but very time consuming and costly,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby anthomo16 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Glassman I agree but better that than doing nothing, I really do think people would be receptive to this idea and would welcome knowing whether or not they are infected. I believe that the majority of people are kind and honest again I expect many would say naive but I prefer that to the other. If there was a way we could all go and be tested that would be great but again would involve queues so that is out. Just thinking aloud here not only about the people of the area but of the councils as they are being inundated with emails etc. again maybe something we could help with, again just saying like.
anthomo16

Postby daz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 pm

In my view mass testing is not effective. Firstly it would cost a fortune, and more importantly only gives a result for ‘now’. This bug is likely to run its peak course over many months. This means many tested and have a negative result, are still just as susceptible to catching the bug the day after. So, mass testing would be a pointless exercise.

Also, we already know that the elderly are more likely to have other on going health problems, meaning they are more susceptible to suffering severely if they catch it.

But having said that, because it is impossible to stay housebound for months on end, the spread of the bug among the healthy is inevitable anyway, giving mild symptoms returning to full health.

So I know this does not sound ideal, like the history of any bugs we know of, the spread of infection would go along way to create a level of immunity across the countries. It would eventually subside to an acceptable level of cases, (like the flu), and life goes on.
Last edited by daz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Notforreal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 am

Oh Daz that sounds more practical ! Tested today means nothing in a few days ! If your fit and healthy just be thankful. And I’m just so fed up with being referred to as elderly as if I am something different. I believe it’s your health that makes you more vulnerable, age is just a coincidence.
Do let’s try to be more cheerful. #### happens. That’s life.
Notforreal

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreta

Postby anthomo16 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:25 am

Good points from both, maybe then do as Murcia and close the borders. Also stop all flights in and out, that's one place where people are jammed together.
I'm just sitting here thinking there must be something we all can do, the old saying "where there's a will there's a way" springs to mind.
I don't want to sit here for months waiting to "see it out" I just want to get the brain power of all on here working for us all.
So please come up with some working ideas, not doom and gloom, by the way I too believe age is just a number, the fact that the body has gone makes me bl...y mad, as I am therefore vulnerable and one thing I hate and that is being dependant on anyone. I would love to hear any ideas from young, middle aged or old we all have something to give.
anthomo16

Postby daz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 pm

But Anthomo, that IS the answer that we have to work with for the present time until we know of any other way.

So far, we know that when people have this bug, in many cases they don’t even know they have it. Most cases have the symptoms that resemble that of a common cold. Consequently, they have continued their daily life mingling among probably 100’s of people every day, not realising they have passed on this bug to someone else. Meanwhile these individuals go on to make a full recovery having no reason to even consider what they may have been suffering from.

It’s only now, during the last few weeks that we now know that this is serious bug with potentially deadly consequences.

The only way we know to control the spread of the bug, is to isolate ourselves. The whole point of this isolation is so we can’t pass it on, during the few days a person may be showing symptoms of being infected. In effect this breaks the link, it breaks the cycle of spread from one person to another.

Sadly to do this to be 100% effective, is just impossible. We need to go to work, and even if we don’t do that, we still need to be able to feed ourselves. So there is always going to be some form of interaction.

But the more we can isolate for the next few days or weeks, can make all the difference between potentially millions dying globally, instead of a few thousand. It’s sounds terribly gloomy, and I hate it as much as everyone else.

BUT we are doing all we can right now, by isolating ourselves from possible contamination. And until we know of any other way, I’m afraid that’s that.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Return to Quesada general discussion