Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Padron for non residents

Padron for non residents

Postby suzi wong » Fri May 20, 2022 7:13 pm

Interesting article on N332 Facebook page today, about a UK resident being fined for driving on a UK licence because he was on the padron.The police saying because he was on the padron he must therefore be a Spanish resident.They are recommending any non residents visit their local town hall to de-register. It’s strange cos 3 yrs. ago we couldn’t buy a new car from Renault in Elche without providing a copy of padron.I understand you shouldn’t be on padron as non resident but was left with no option if we wanted to buy the car.So beware.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Re: Padron for non residents

Postby marcliff » Fri May 20, 2022 8:43 pm

Seems like the police are out in force at the moment. Went past two checks today, one by the ITV station in Torrevieja and one by El Raso. I was waved through both so assuming they have my details on their computer.

Also stories of several fines and now this for being on the padron. Strange that this was Torrevieja as I thought they were quite strict on that.

One chap said he'd been fined for having a UK licence with an EU badge on but it would seem that was a misunderstanding. He'd shown an Irish passport (as some are doing to get around the rules) but a UK driving licence. Wonder what would have happened if he'd shown a UK passport with no stamp and they may have classed him as a resident.

Those who visit regularly and have a Spanish car here would be advised to get a non resident certificate from the National Police otherwise it might be difficult to show you are non res with a Spanish car. Perfectly legal but if it doesn't show on the police computer they may have problems.

Some car dealers still saying they want a padron to buy a car but that hasn't been the case ever.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Maxboy2 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 pm

Does anybody know if you are off the padron if you dont re register every year?
Maxboy2

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby kathyl » Fri May 20, 2022 11:13 pm

I understood you ought to be on the padron if you own property here, even if you are resident or no. This allows Valencia to allocate the correct amount of money for the services provided
kathyl

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby maryann » Sat May 21, 2022 12:00 am

We own a holiday home in Algorfa and also have a Spanish car. Not sure if we are on the padron; how would we find out if we are or not? Or indeed if the police have our car registration on their records?

Marcliff says that non residents should get a Non Resident Certificate from the National Police. Can anyone please tell me the nearest National Police office to Algorfa and would we need to make an appointment? Grateful for any replies please.
maryann

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby marcliff » Sat May 21, 2022 7:56 am

kathyl wrote:I understood you ought to be on the padron if you own property here, even if you are resident or no. This allows Valencia to allocate the correct amount of money for the services provided

Only those who are permanent residents in Spain should be on the padron. Some councils, like Rojales, let non residents onto the padron for that very reason but they shouldn't be.
Once on the padron you are officially stating that this is your permanent home so you could be getting questions why you are not paying income tax and other such things.

maryann wrote:We own a holiday home in Algorfa and also have a Spanish car. Not sure if we are on the padron; how would we find out if we are or not? Or indeed if the police have our car registration on their records?

Marcliff says that non residents should get a Non Resident Certificate from the National Police. Can anyone please tell me the nearest National Police office to Algorfa and would we need to make an appointment? Grateful for any replies please.

If you haven't been to the town hall to actually register on the padron then you won't be on it. It is valid for 2 years so if you haven't renewed it then it will have expired.
To get a certificate of non residency you apply using the EX18 form ,(yes, an appointment is required) and there is a box at the bottom for certificado de no residencia.

If you have a Spanish registered car then the police will know about it.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby DiamondT » Sat May 21, 2022 12:54 pm

Hello.
I am hearing many different and conflicting stories about people, who are completely legal, with UK registered vehicles and homes in the area, being fined. But, nobody seems sure what they are being fined for.

Does anyone out there have the real answer?

We have UK passports with the correct entry/exit stamps.
We have UK driving licences.
We are on the Padron because we were encouraged to do so by Rojales Ayuntamiento.
We have six-monthly SIP cards.
Our vehicle is UK registered.

Are we doing anything wrong?

Thank you.
DiamondT

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Darro » Sat May 21, 2022 1:06 pm

Yes, you should not be on a padron for the reasons already stated. Demanding a padron for car registration is a dealer imposed condition, all that's actually required is proof of a Spanish address which can be supported with property deeds and recent utility bills.

6 monthly SIP cards were sometimes issued to simplify bureaucracy when non residents accessed services with an EHIC, I doubt many are still doing it in the post Brexit era so you could struggle to get them renewed.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby izzy b » Sat May 21, 2022 1:22 pm

Information taken from N332 website:
There has been several posts on various Facebook pages recently describing a situation about a tourist being fined for having a UK driving licence. Our understanding from messages we have received was that the police stated that as the driver was on the padron he must be a resident!

Today we have spoken with the town hall about this in Torreveieja who have confirmed that only those people who are resident, or awaiting to become resident (visa awaited for example) should be on the Padron. Tourists should not be registered.

If you are a tourist (i.e. here for holidays only), you should de-register from the padron. Visit the padron office by appointment.
izzy b

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby shap » Sun May 22, 2022 3:56 am

Now I am confused. Since we bought our holiday home in 2021 we have been on the Padron being actively encouraged to do so by Rojales Ayuntamiento. We as non residents understood we had to be on the Padron for the local council to get Govt money for their services. Also we needed to be on the Padron to get our SIP cards which gave us access to a doctor should it be necessary. The medical centre in Quesada wont issue the SIP card without an up to date padron. So without a sip card how would we now access a doctor if required as a property owner who is non resident but spends around 6 months a year here off and on.
If what I read now on the topic is correct - I should de-register from the Padron? and also obtain a non resident certificate in order to drive my Spanish car?
If this information is correct where is the National Police office to get the non resident certificate.
Any information would be gratefully received. Thank you. Can't believe I have been misled for this length of time re the Padron which i believed was compulsory for a property owner.
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Next