Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

CON MEN ACTING AS POLICEMEN

CON MEN ACTING AS POLICEMEN

Postby sue » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know and please be aware. My husband has just come in from doing a bit of shopping at Consum near Spanglish Bar. He was carrying a haversack and walking the 10 minutes home to Dona Pepa. A car pulled up beside him at the roundabout there and asked could they have a look in his bag. They showed what seemed to be official ID and were wearing uniforms but the car was not a police car. My husband handed the bag over and they continued to look in it, but one of them took his wallet with about 50 euros in and luckily nothing else. They got back in the car and raced off before he realised they had taken his money.

He is a bit shaken up but really thought they were police.

Just wanted to warn everyone that it is happening in this area.

Thanks, Sue.
sue

Re: CON MEN ACTING AS POLICEMEN

Postby Liz & Gordon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:31 pm

There was a similar incident reported here recently , silver Merc it should really be reported to the Police as soon as possible.
Liz & Gordon

Which part of Spain are you from?: Scotland

Postby Jan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:09 pm

sue wrote:Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know and please be aware. My husband has just come in from doing a bit of shopping at Consum near Spanglish Bar. He was carrying a haversack and walking the 10 minutes home to Dona Pepa. A car pulled up beside him at the roundabout there and asked could they have a look in his bag. They showed what seemed to be official ID and were wearing uniforms but the car was not a police car. My husband handed the bag over and they continued to look in it, but one of them took his wallet with about 50 euros in and luckily nothing else. They got back in the car and raced off before he realised they had taken his money.

He is a bit shaken up but really thought they were police.

Just wanted to warn everyone that it is happening in this area.

Thanks, Sue.

Sorry to hear this.

Yes a similar incident was posted on here before and hopefully it was reported to the police then. The Mercedes registration was said to be AR 488, which may help you.

Here's the topic : Guardia Civil?? Possible scam - Beware!

Please report this and get these thieving con-men off the road. Impersonating Policemen in any country is a very serious offence.

If anyone else is approached, unless it is an official police car, please do not let them have access to anything.

Jan
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Liz & Gordon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Sue hope things have calmed down for you and your husband, did you manage to contact the Police re the incident?
Liz & Gordon

Which part of Spain are you from?: Scotland

Postby Jan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 pm

I placed this warning on the TalkQuesada Facebook page and the N332 Facebook page. The comment from the policemen on there was this " If this happens to you, write the plate number of the vehicle and call 062, once we have the plate number is easy to catch them".

Hopefully the plate number mentioned previously, Quote " The Merc registration was AR 488", has been reported to the Guardia Civil.

Stay aware & safe everyone.

Jan
Jan
Site Admin

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 am

This has been posted on the N332 Facebook page -
Due to the information it has been posted in a forum, we have decide to publish again the info related to unmarked police cars.
We remind you, These rules are only applied to the vehicles of the Traffic Department. Police Officers from other departments, sometimes do not wear uniform while working, but they are not allowed to charge you money for any fine. In case of doubt always call 062 (Guardia Civil), they will check the plate number, and confirm they are an official unmarked police car. (If you want to read useful info related to traffic matters, please, join us on Facebook: N332!)
Jan
Site Admin

Postby Jan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 am

We have added a helpful article from the N332 website to help everyone find out how to tell if a Guardia Civil police car in Spain is genuine:

See this link to read it : interesting-articles-about-spain-f35/how-to-tell-if-an-unmarked-police-car-is-genuine-t7452.html

Jan
Jan
Site Admin

Return to Safety / security information and property in Spain hints and tips