Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

REGISTER OF FOREIGN NATIONALS

REGISTER OF FOREIGN NATIONALS

Postby Tootandploot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 pm

I am spending more and more time in Spain of late and want to regularise the position, although I am employed by a UK company and earn a salary paid into UK bank. I also want to continue with my Uk benefits. Not of pensionable age so rely on EHIC and SIP. What do I need to do to sort it and what documentary evidence is required please?
Tootandploot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: REGISTER OF FOREIGN NATIONALS

Postby Paulr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Tootandploot,

There was something about this on here recently. Searching for Extranjeros brought back some old posts, but if you put:

Re: Documents needed for residencia? (non pensioner)

in the search bar, it should bring back a response from GA Insurances, who included a link to the required forms. The post was dated August this year, so should still be current.

Failing that, I'm sure our forum gurus, Marcliffe and Martin the Artist, will be able to help :)

Kind regards,
Kim
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Tootandploot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Thank you Kim, I hadn't realised Registration of Foreign Nationals was the same as Residencia. Doh!!
Tootandploot

Postby marcliff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Correct. In fact, residencia is the wrong name as only non-EU nationals can apply for residencia. Us Brits (and other EU citizens) go on to the Register of foreign EU citizens resident in Spain. Slightly different but we call it residency as it's much easier to do so.
Note, you can go on to this register and effectively be a resident in Spain but you do not need to become a fiscal resident unless you live here all year round and have your main financial base here. For example, if you work in UK for more than 3 months and all your financial dealings are UK (along with your taxes and NICs) you can become a non-fiscal resident in Spain. It's just a way of formalising your status. Normally you become tax resident in Spain if you spend more than 6 months but the tax people in UK can give you a tax residency status for UK if you can prove your main financial and living ties are with the UK.
You should go on to this register even if you spend more than 3 months in Spain. Free movement with no visa or documentation is only valid for up to 3 months so residency after that should be done.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby TonTri » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 pm

marcliff wrote:You should go on to this register even if you spend more than 3 months in Spain. Free movement with no visa or documentation is only valid for up to 3 months so residency after that should be done.

Marcliff, does this apply only if you spend more than 3 months in one go or overall?

We are coming over for 2 months from mid-October, then usually for 3 months from mid-Jan, plus maybe the odd couple of weeks in June or September. A total of 5 1/2 months of the year. Should we go on the register?
TonTri

Postby marcliff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:11 pm

TonTri wrote:
marcliff wrote:You should go on to this register even if you spend more than 3 months in Spain. Free movement with no visa or documentation is only valid for up to 3 months so residency after that should be done.

Marcliff, does this apply only if you spend more than 3 months in one go or overall?

We are coming over for 2 months from mid-October, then usually for 3 months from mid-Jan, plus maybe the odd couple of weeks in June or September. A total of 5 1/2 months of the year. Should we go on the register?

More than 3 months in any one year.
Most people don't, though. I think it might be a good thing with Brexit coming up to tell you the truth. Who knows, having the documents before UK leaves might be a good thing.

From the British Consulate in Spain website
From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. You will be issued a credit card size Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality,NIEnumber (Número de Identificación Extranjero) and date of registration. After five years residence registration you are entitled to apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby TonTri » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Many thanks Marcliff. We will register when we come over next. :text-thankyouyellow:
TonTri

Postby panchotaff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi

I have to admit this is the first I have heard of this register of Foreign Nations.

W come over to Spain for approx 18 weeks a year - 3 visits of 6 weeks.

As I exceed the 3 months Should we register?

Thanks in advance
panchotaff

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby Tootandploot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks Marcliff. Would you happen to know the requirements, particularly health care. Would I be covered by uk healthcare and ehic or is additional cover required.
Tootandploot

Postby Espanabums » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:21 pm

There is a bit of confusion here I think. The 90 day, 3 month rule, is for consecutive days spent in Spain not cumulative. If you stay in Spain for 89 days then spend a day in France or Portugal, then the clock is re set and you can stay in Spain for another period of less than 90 days.

The cumulative rule is for fiscal residency, IE liable to submit a Spanish tax return, if you spend 183 days, 6 months, in Spain either in one go or in a few visits in any one calendar year you will become a fiscal resident.

Some visitors do six months in Spain and six months in UK every year. Officially they should register and deregister but I know of no one who does it.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Next