Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

ANY HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED

ANY HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED

Postby chrisp58 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi all,
I am moving to quesada in jan for 5 months.I would appreciate any tips or advice as i am wanting to shut my house down in the UK while away. And looking for any ideas to cut costs,security and accidents.TIA
Chrisp58
chrisp58

Re: ANY HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Make sure your house insurance in the UK covers you for extended absence. We were with Axa insurance and they only allow you to be away for 28 days. Switched to Direct Line to get around this and cut our insurance bill by over half in the process.

If you’re driving to Spain then make sure your car insurance covers you for an extended trip, and make sure your MOT is valid for the whole period while you’ll be away.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby chrisp58 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks Pete
Will look into that,not taking car going to hire one for a week or so every month.
chrisp58

Postby TonTri » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Also check your travel insurance, a lot of them are for a maximum of 30 days. We had to change our provider.

We're coming over for 2 months at the end of the month for our first winter in our apartment. We're planning on making sure all the blinds are down, we've got a table lamp on a timer in the lounge to come on for a couple of hours first thing in the morning and from 5:30pm to 11:30pm at night. We're also leaving the car in the driveway so it looks as though someone is in. We've tidied the garden up so it shouldnt get overgrown, the only concern slightly is the post but our daughter will come round every 3 or 4 weeks to move it. We live on a small quiet estate so hopefully that will be enough. Oh and I've set a recorded message on the phone asking callers to ring my mobile number, or you could use call divert.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby scubydoo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi also heating if you have a system like Hive you can cotrol it from here via computer or phone you need to leave a little ventilation and some heating so nothing bursts!
scubydoo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby PeteKnight » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

LHMurcia34 wrote:Hi

My husband and I have thought about moving to Spain on a permanent basis and are looking for as much information as possible to help us make the correct decision ie Pros and Cons for living in Spain and whether it will impact on us financially. My husband has just turned 65 and I am 54.

We really appreciated any sound advice the members can give us.

This is a substantially different question to the one asked by the original poster. Rather than hijack this thread, why not start your own thread, with a title that is a bit more specific?

In reply to the original question, don’t forget to check that your Passport, EHIC card and driving licence all have expiry dates that are after your planned return date.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am

turn your water off at the mains in case of a freeze up and burst, leave electric on it keeps the boiler on circulation mode ,then if theres a burst it wont work due to lack of pressure,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Jan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am

PeteKnight wrote:
LHMurcia34 wrote:Hi

My husband and I have thought about moving to Spain on a permanent basis and are looking for as much information as possible to help us make the correct decision ie Pros and Cons for living in Spain and whether it will impact on us financially. My husband has just turned 65 and I am 54.

We really appreciated any sound advice the members can give us.

This is a substantially different question to the one asked by the original poster. Rather than hijack this thread, why not start your own thread, with a title that is a bit more specific?

In reply to the original question, don’t forget to check that your Passport, EHIC card and driving licence all have expiry dates that are after your planned return date.

Pete.

Hi
I have moved the above post to its own topic now.

It's here on this link:

quesada-general-discussion-f9/thinking-of-moving-to-spain-help-and-advice-please-t22582.html

This topic can now stay 'on topic'.

Thanks
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby chrisp58 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the help please keep it coming, just noticed my EHIC runs out in may.
chris
chrisp58