Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Gas bottle for paella cooking set

Gas bottle for paella cooking set

Postby Angela17 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi

I have just purchased a paella cooking stand/set and now need to buy a gas bottle. Please can I check if I need a licence or contract for this (I have read that I don't as its a portable appliance but want to double check)?

Also please can I ask where is the best place to buy a gas bottle in Quesada and is there any special kind that I need?

Many thanks.
Angela17

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Gas bottle for paella cooking set

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 pm

If you go to a gas distributor to ‘buy’ a bottle, you sign a contract with that distributor. Effectively, you’re paying a deposit and agreeing to their terms and conditions.
This should mean that when people bo longer have a need for the bottle they return it to the distributor and get their deposit back. In theory, no gas bottles should be for sale other than from a distributor.

In reality, people are selling empty bottles all the time, both on the forums and at car boot sales, and that’s how most people get their bottles. Once you have a bottle you just go to the distributor and swap it for a full one - no contract is required.

There are tw suppliers in the area - Repsol and CEPSA. Repsol bottles are Orange and CEPSA bottles are silver or grey.
You can’t take orange bottles to a CEPSA supplier and vice versa.

In addition to the make of bottle, you also have the type of gas - Butane or Propane. So, there are 4 ma8n options:
Repsol Butane - orange
Repsol Propane - orange
CEPSA Butane- silver
CEPSA Propane - grey.

The regulator fittings are physically the same for all 4 types, although some regulators are only designed to be used with Butane. Butane is more popular and refills are easier to obtain.

For a Paella burner, Butane should be fine.

So, you have an initial choice - Repsol Butane or CEPSA Butane.
The CEPSA bottles are made of aluminium and lighter (but still heavy when full). CEPSA is also generally more popular, so easier to get refills. If you live just down the road from a Repsol garage then go for that, otherwise I’d say go for CEPSA. In Quesada the petrol station near the arches and the Jumerca supermarket both stock CEPSA.

The other decision I’d whether to go for a contract or to buy an empty from a car boot etc. The going rate for an empty on the ‘black market’ is €10. I think the deposit on a contract bottle is around €30-40.

I’d say go along to the El Moncayo car boot sale tomorrow (Saturday) and buy an empty. If you can’t f8 d one there then pop into the cepsa garage on the way home and get a contract one (you’ll need some sort of ID and proof of address).

Hope this helps. Happy to taste-test your paella when you’re up and running :-)

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Forgot to add, it’s handy to have a spare so that you can swap-over when your first bottle runs out. You obviously don’t need two to begin with, but once you start to get down your first bottle then look out for a second one. You wouldn’t want to run out half way through cooking and you don’t really want to be returning a bottle that’s still got gas in it.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Angela17 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Pete

You are very kind to write this detailed response, its very useful. Thank you very much.
Angela17

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada