Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Weekly market stall space

Weekly market stall space

Postby linkwater » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Just curious to know how much is it to have a stall on one of the weekly markets like Torrevieja or Guardamar.

I'm reading stories from my hometown about the decline of town centres and lack of markets is being suggested as a cause.

It got me thinking it must be a lot cheaper here to rent a space.
Select Air Conditioning – Mark White
Email: [email protected]
Telephone:
Fixed line: 966719362
Mobile: 647 171 531
linkwater

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: Weekly market stall space

Postby costalad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:36 pm

As a past market trader in the UK for over 20 years I believe that the main reason for the decline in town centres was the increase in out of town superstores caused by greedy local councils charging sky high business rates in the high street. Unfortunatly as the town centres declined so did the markets (both open and closed in). The best time for market trading was in the early 70s in the UK. Over here in Spain there still appears to be plenty of trade so you may do OK here depending on what you are selling. Good luck anyway. You will almost certainly be required to show that you are paying autonimo and be registered on the tax system before you get a licence to trade.
costalad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Albatera

Postby linkwater » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:08 pm

I may have caused some confusion. I don't want to start a market stall here but trying to understand why they still thrive here yet are in a big decline in some parts of the UK. It just got me thinking that councils here just rent out the space and are presumably cheaper than council managed sites in the UK with stalls supplied and that could be a cause. My centre in the UK now seems to consist of pound, mobile phone and charity shops. All that's missing is tumbleweed rolling down the main street.
Select Air Conditioning – Mark White
Email: [email protected]
Telephone:
Fixed line: 966719362
Mobile: 647 171 531
linkwater

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Markmarine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:29 pm

When we had a shop in the uk, we were paying £1200 a month rent, the lease was £35,000 which increased to £47000 at the review and £900 business rates a month so we shut the doors! Added to that the council charged us £3 per bag for rubbish, any people wanting to use the town centre had to pay 1p per minute to park or more! What else do you need to put people out of business?
Markmarine

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada