Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Internal leak.

Internal leak.

Postby Scipio » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 am

We seem to have water coming out through our back wall.
I have turned everything off and the meter is not moving so I have concluded that it is the waste pipe from our upstairs shower.
It doesn't smell so I don't think it is from the toilet.
Firstly. How can I find out where the leak is?
Second. What can I do to repair it?
Is there something I can pour into the pipe?
Thanks.
Scipio
Scipio

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: Internal leak.

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 am

Normally, the waste pipes from showers, sinks etc would feed into the same soil pipe as the toilet.
If the shower was added later, or moved after the initial build then it may have its own downpipe, but this seems unlikely. The quantity of waste water from a toilet is small compared to what you get from a shower, so there may be toilet waste there without actually realising it. You might be able to prove that by running a quantity of water down the toilet, maybe from the shower or a hose and check the leak.
Putting something down the pipe to seal it isn’t an option. If getting access to the pipe is a big issue then you might be worth getting a camera down the pipe to pinpoint the point of the leak and the nature of the problem, but it will still need access via the wall to fix it.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 am

We had a similar problem some time ago. The seal around the bath / shower was allowing water from the shower to pour down the wall and causing the exterior wall to be soaked. We called our insurance company who sent a plumber to us. The plumber had to break 2 tiles on the side of the bath in order to see what was happening under it. Conclusion....nothing wrong other than the seal around the bath which was replaced as were the 2 tiles on the side of bath. Could this be your problem? If so, fill your bath to the top with water and put new sealant all around the edge of wall/ tiles. The reason for doing this with the bath full is to allow for weight which can cause your bath to move down fractionally, the same as a heavy person taking a shower.
Good luck. Please update ,always interested to hear the end of the saga!
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Scipio » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks to you both.
Mac3Blade I can see that we have sealant and grout missing so I am going to try your experiment.
We use the shower at least twice a day so possibly water is getting down the back of the bath and/or the loose tiles .
Scipio

Postby GLASSMAN » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 am

shower twice a day .......that's extravagant, :o
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Scipio » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 am

I'm a dirty guy!!!
Scipio

Postby mark&denise » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Mac3blade wrote:We had a similar problem some time ago. The seal around the bath / shower was allowing water from the shower to pour down the wall and causing the exterior wall to be soaked. We called our insurance company who sent a plumber to us. The plumber had to break 2 tiles on the side of the bath in order to see what was happening under it. Conclusion....nothing wrong other than the seal around the bath which was replaced as were the 2 tiles on the side of bath. Could this be your problem? If so, fill your bath to the top with water and put new sealant all around the edge of wall/ tiles. The reason for doing this with the bath full is to allow for weight which can cause your bath to move down fractionally, the same as a heavy person taking a shower.
Good luck. Please update ,always interested to hear the end of the saga!
mark&denise

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa