Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Freesat stb

Advertise here for free any unwanted/secondhand items that you would like to sell or buy. For example: Household items/Bicycles/Garden furniture etc. Please include prices and photos, if possible.

Freesat stb

Postby Dinkelharper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Does anyone have a cheap freesat box to sell that they don't use anymore? Does not need to be HD or recording. Just a simple little box for simple channels for a few quid.
Dinkelharper

Which part of Spain are you from?: Elche

Re: Freesat stb

Postby jpeg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Auctions are full of them
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Dinkelharper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

What auctions?
Dinkelharper

Postby jpeg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Tony Firth in Los Montesinos
Daya Nueva Auctions in Herradades
Lumsdens in Formentera
Google them
jpeg

Postby Dinkelharper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Googled all and none of them have any. Thanks anyway
Dinkelharper

Postby jpeg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm

You do realise that almost any sat box will recieve Freesat Channels and I know for a fact that the auctions have them in
jpeg

Postby Dinkelharper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Never had a dish before. The house I moved to have one installed but directed towards Eutelsat with French channels and plan on re-directing the dish. But the box I have won't work with U.K. Freesat. Locked to Fransat.
Dinkelharper

Postby Quesadasteve » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 pm

You proberly know any free to air set top box will work ....I was over lumsdens auction and must have been 5 FTA set top boxs.

You may needed get the dish professionally aligned ...some of the feeds from Astra are fairly weak and others are marginal .....but you probably are aware anyway
Quesadasteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Dinkelharper wrote:Never had a dish before. The house I moved to have one installed but directed towards Eutelsat with French channels and plan on re-directing the dish. But the box I have won't work with U.K. Freesat. Locked to Fransat.

You have a few options:
1) An old Sky box
2) A generic/Chinese Sat box
3) A genuine FreeSat box.

The problem with old Sky boxes is that you can’t hide the channels that you can’t receive, or don’t want to see. This makes it difficult to browse through the program guide. Also, without a viewing card linked to an active subscription you lose the ability to record or to pause live TV, but you say that this isn’t an issue.

The generic box is cheap and cheerful, but the user interface and the remote control often leave a lot to be desired. The program guide is often fairly useless and the controls/menus aren’t very intuitive. You will be able to hide unwanted channels, but these may re-appear next time you scan for new/changed channels. You can often record/pause if you plug a memory stick or HDD into the back of the box.

Genuine FreeSat boxes aren’t available to buy new in Spain, they are meant for the UK market, but there are some around - or you can bring one from the UK. The user interface is much nicer, and hiding unwanted channels is easy. The program guide is nice, but not as good as Sky’s. It’s also easy to choose which regional programs you want to watch by inputting a UK postcode. The generic sat boxes will give you dozens of different versions of BBC and ITV channels and it’s up to you to sort-out which region you want.
If you get a FreeSat box with a built-in HDD then you can record and pause live TV.
I have a couple of Humax FreeSat boxes and love them.

If you’re after a generic box and find yourself near La Zenia then the EasyAds shop usually has half a dozen on the shelf.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby LeeG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 am

Have you checked to see if your TV has a decoder built-in. Usually a screw in plug next to the aerial socket, if has you don't need a box.
LeeG

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera del Segur

Next