Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Applying for convenio especial spanish healthcare scheme

Re: Applying for convenio especial spanish healthcare scheme

Postby marcliff » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Paulr wrote:My impression is that Brexit prompted some ex-pats "living under the wire" to regularise their situation, and certainly recent British Consul visits to this area and the associated Costa Blanca News headlines, "Get yourself legal", has resulted in many more Brits looking to obtain residency, which may have lead to the much longer lead times to obtain a Residencia appointment; otherwise, I think the requirements are much the same as they've always been.

We obtained Residencia last year (through Orihuela's Extranjeros office) and, in addition to the usual proof of ID, i.e. passport, NIE, we also had to provide certified bank statements from our Spanish bank account (Sabadell) which proved 6 months minimum income in Spain of Eu 600 per month, a year's private health insurance paid in advance (we only had 3 months left of the current cover) and proof of regular income in the UK - no specific minimum amount was cited by our Gestoria, but my Military pension and my wife's rental income from a property in the UK must have been sufficient.

When we applied, we were told that we had to pay for our private health insurance for a whole year, in order to obtain a certificate that would be sufficient for obtaining Residencia. The reason for this is because people had been buying health insurance on a month by month basis, obtaining their Residencia and then cancelling their insurance. Whilst it seems that Spanish law hasn't changed, various Extranjeros offices are applying the regulations in varying degrees. In Spain: twas ever thus.....

That's why I said it's changed. When we bought, you didn't even need an NIE but if you did get one you were automatically put on the padron, resident or not. Healthcare was given for 2 years based on your UK NI Payments if you were under retirement age and, if you'd taken out residency before 2014, you were given permanent healthcare without having private cover and the convenio especial didn't even exist.
Even since you have done it a year ago they have changed the rules. The income requirement is now at €795 a month for three months into a Spanish bank. Just six years ago when we did there was no requirement to show proof of income at all and then it changed to showing the income but it didn't have to be in a Spanish bank.
Las cosas cambian en España.
Last edited by marcliff on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mrs D » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:15 pm

I was on the Convenio for 18mths, you have to be resident for a year to apply. Everything for me was done in Alicante, it was fairly new when I applied so famacia's used to look at my card in surprise... You do pay 100% for prescriptions, you can not use it for 'holiday' cover out of Spain. But its a good system, the amount is taken out of the bank each month, should it be missed they will contact you. Would recommend it, as per everything in Spain, you need to submit every bit of paperwork, padron, residencia, passport, I had to prove address also, usual situation , copied & originals.
Hope that helps
Mrs D

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso Guradamar De

Postby LSpring40 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 am

HI my husband and I lived here for a year, with private health insurance, applied to become residents and then applied for the Convenio. Our application was successful as we both have long term conditions and yes we pay 100% for prescriptions. We used a broker called David and had to visit an office in Alicante. The whole process was simple but it take a few weeks to complete. Good Luck.
LSpring40

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Previous