Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Firestick and VPN

Firestick and VPN

Postby Ian2009 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm

I am in U.K. at the moment. Have downloaded and subscribed to Nord VPN on my firestick successfully. I have broadband in Spain but I was told I cannot have a VPN on the router by the company supplying the fibre optic broadband.

So my question is - if I bring the firestick over - will the firestick work ok with the VPN directly loaded so that I can get the various i-players on my TV?

I have tried to test it as best I can by connecting the VPN which connects fine but it is difficult not being out of the U.K.

I would prefer to know now if it is not going to work as I can cancel my VPN in 30 days if I find it doesn’t work in Spain - arriving in 9 days and hoping to have TV !

TIA
Ian2009

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dońa Pepa

Re: Firestick and VPN

Postby HJB134 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 pm

I have downloaded onto my firestick LiveNetTV. This gets all your uk channels including all the Sky Sports channels and BT Sports channels. It also has US channels. The best thing is that you don’t need a VPN. You may want to have a look at that.
HJB134

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Ian2009 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 pm

:text-thankyouyellow:
Ian2009

Postby colint » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 pm

They cant stop you using a vpn on the firestick it will work ok out here
Colint
colint

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Ian2009 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:18 pm

:text-thankyouyellow:
Ian2009

Postby Miketaff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am

I live at punta prima, have firestick Nord VPN, on my firestick I have Kodi and livenet TV if you go to the menu all the sports channels are selected for you happy days
Miketaff

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina Urb

Postby Ian2009 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 am

Hi - now downloaded Livenet TV but here’s an interesting update.
I decided whilst here in the U.K. to “pretend” I was in Spain and tried to log in to BBC I-player and as expected it blocked me out.
Then I changed location to U.K. and thought it will work now - WRONG.
I had to turn off the VPN - go into every channel and category and make it play with no VPN turned on - then when completed - turned the VPN back on with location the U.K. and everything played ok.

So the BBC APP must go on “lockdown” once it detects you are out of the U.K. unless of course you have your VPN connected.

I suspect I could have deleted the I-player app and reloaded it and this would have cleared it but it does make me think that if (when overseas) you haven’t (by mistake) connected the VPN and then try to connect - it causes problems.
Ian2009

Postby colint » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 pm

you will need to get the apps in the uk first ie itv hub iplayer and the others then make sure you set up a account with them in uk first and acctevate them so the will play with out vpn on in uk then one you come over to spain run vpn then log into iplayer ect and they will work
Colint
colint

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Ian2009 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks Colin - done that now and also realised that the VPN on the firestick should be left on all the time. As my firestick was plugged into the usb on the tv - it was switching off and disconnecting the VPN as well - so now I have it plugged into the mains and the VPN stays on !
Ian2009