Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Villa Martin bad luck or not !

Re: Villa Martin bad luck or not !

Postby Yan » Thu May 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Yan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Black » Thu May 10, 2018 6:48 pm

I hate reading about burglaries, because I can imagine how I would feel if it happened to me. It must be horrible.

I wonder though, how common it is in relative terms. would a UK town of similar size to Quesada have more or less of a problem? Bars and grilles are not very common in the UK so either the Spanish are more security conscious, or they have a bigger problem with burglary.
Black

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 pm

I think it's far worse here than any UK town.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Floydy » Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Tom1957 wrote:I hate reading about burglaries, because I can imagine how I would feel if it happened to me. It must be horrible.

I wonder though, how common it is in relative terms. would a UK town of similar size to Quesada have more or less of a problem? Bars and grilles are not very common in the UK so either the Spanish are more security conscious, or they have a bigger problem with burglary.

We have spent several trouble free weeks visiting Quesada,for my money from what we have seen is an elderly population with possibly a few quid who are easy targets for lowlife.

The people who have been done twice actually came from a fairly tough town in Essex with its obvious troubles and crime,yet they lived there for 30 years and were never burgled!

Every villa rental we have had,whether La Marina ,Montesinos,Quesada,Benimar,we have always been warned to lock everything.
Floydy

Which part of Spain are you from?: UK

Postby marcliff » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Pretty much perceived levels of crime, I would think. I have been coming to Spain for some 16 years and and lived here permanently for almost 8 of those. In all that time I have never been robbed, burgled, jumped on by huggers or been threatened
In UK, in a town much smaller than Quesada, our house was broken into once (ironically whilst here for a week in Spain), my garage was broken into twice and my garden shed twice.
From my point of view UK much less safe.
However, I'll probably be broken into next week as I've just tempted fate so I may change my mind.
A comparison of UK v Spain website says that total crimes in UK are 7 times higher than in Spain (it doesn't break that down into type, though) and crimes per 1,000 is 5 times higher in UK than in Spain.
It also says that although violent crimes in UK are 85% higher than Spain, murder with firearms in Spain are 10% more than UK (all others murders are much higher in UK, though).

The frightening thing is burglary when you are in the house. We triple lock all our doors when we go to bed and have window alarms on each of the windows, something we also fitted in UK after being broken into.
Yes, burglars are clever. They popped what we thought was a secure window lock off the kitchen and crawled through a tiny little space. I wouldn't have thought they could have got through. The alarm went off but we've all heard them in UK and ignore them as they are continually sounding in some places. Here we have it monitored and am thinking of those cameras you can access by internet when you're away (an American woman we met on holiday had one and was checking on the girl who was house sitting and looking after her dog. Bit surprised when she found the boyfriend was over and getting "friendly" on the living room floor. She texted her to remind her the house was being videoed).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby TonTri » Thu May 10, 2018 10:14 pm

The thing that worries me in Spain, particularly when we go to sleep, is that there is only one way in and one way out - the front door, well there are patio doors but they are next to the front door and lead to a balcony. What happens if there is a fire???? The windows all have fixed grills and we lock the doors and security grills and put down the persianas but we do leave the keys on the inside of the front door just to allow a quick escape if needed. As frightening as a burglary may be (and fortunately we've never had to endure one) it can't be more frightening than being confronted by a wall of fire blocking your only escape. At least a burglary is only possessions, fire could mean your life.

Sorry I strayed off topic, no disrespect meant to the OP or the people who were burgled. Just ignore.
Last edited by TonTri on Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Billyboy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I agree with marcliff . I'm backwards and forwards to the UK and I honestly think UK society is in the early stages of meltdown . Lawless schools , knife crime rife and acid attacks now seem to be accepted as 'the norm' in the UK . We had a few weeks ago the pensioner defending his home , he stabbed and killed the intruder - the problem is now he and his wife can't live in their own home because of threats . The UK Police have been emasculated , they have their hands tied - they don't have the resources to deal with any problem . It also does not help when you can buy lock picking kits online ! Keep safe all and make it as hard as possible for the sods to get in !
Billyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby GLASSMAN » Fri May 11, 2018 6:51 am

Floydy wrote:
maria elena wrote:We were burgled the night before last. We live in Doña Pepa. We have grills, locked blinds and locked windows. We didn’t have a burglar alarm though (something we’ll remedy now). They gemmied out the grill, pulled the blind out of the way, smashed the window, put their hand through to unscrew the “screw in” bolts which go through the windows. Apart from a Burglar Alarm, I’m not sure what else we can do? Any suggestions would be welcome.

It's crazy.

We recently spent a week renting a villa near to the steakhouse,in fact near to Manuel from the tv show,we left the villa and my partner noticed a largish piece of wood painted red up against the villa wall,he removed it and put into the green bin just up the road,he was fairly convinced it could have been a sign for crooks.

DO you mean Manuel from faulty towers ? what TV show?
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby GLASSMAN » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 am

TonTri wrote:The thing that worries me in Spain, particularly when we go to sleep, is that there is only one way in and one way out - the front door, well there are patio doors but they are next to the front door and lead to a balcony. What happens if there is a fire???? The windows all have fixed grills and we lock the doors and security grills and put down the persianas but we do leave the keys on the inside of the front door just to allow a quick escape if needed. As frightening as a burglary may be (and fortunately we've never had to endure one) it can't be more frightening than being confronted by a wall of fire blocking your only escape. At least a burglary is only possessions, fire could mean your life.

Sorry I strayed off topic, no disrespect meant to the OP or the people who were burgled. Just ignore.
Buy a small jemmy/crow bar or hacksaw keep in bedroom ,handy for priseing grills off if trapped by fire
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Floydy » Fri May 11, 2018 8:36 am

Manuel married to the lady from Liverpool,they are estate agents in Quesada,they take part in Channel 4 show about Brits buying property in Spain....Manuel has become a bit of a hit in the UK,if you ever watch the prog,you will see why.
Floydy

Which part of Spain are you from?: UK

PreviousNext