Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Holiday Lets and Community Fee's

Holiday Lets and Community Fee's

Postby burnie day » Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi All,

Last night, sitting in a friends garden, they have just moved here and have rented their home on a long term let and signed a contract to stay for 11 months.

They thought they had rented a nice little casa, in a residential area, shops just up the road and pool a couple of minutes walk away.

Sounds great, every thing on the door step, Sun, Sea and supermarket:)

Then the neighbours returned, The music went on and up, The beer was obviously flowing and the language turned blue.

In a very disheartening tone, he said to me: Don't want to call the kettle black, but they are holiday makers renting the house next door.

Its probable that this has already been raised before on the discussion,

But firstly is it right that's its so simple to obtain a licence to rent short term in whats obviously a residential area,,,,, I know I would not want to live next door to a holiday let

And second, should these holiday lets be paying more community fees, either to discourage the letting or to at least benefit the community where the holiday let is.
burnie day

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: Holiday Lets and Community Fee's

Postby Roach » Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Personally i have found most areas in the region to consist of both residential and holiday properties with the latter often being a source of income for the owners whilst they are not occupying the property. As i am sure you will be aware, this income usually goes toward the running costs of the property such as the annual community fee etc. I don't think many areas can be classed as purely residential areas. Out of interest, what is the area in question and is it on a community? Assuming it is a on a community, i think it would be unfair to charge more of a fee if a owner chooses to rent their property out. After all, whether the owners are there or tenants that rent, there is no real difference.

All communities (as per my experience) have a list of rules that must be followed and repeated failure to comply can result in action being taken, the severity of which depending on what the infraction was. In the case of loud noise, my community has a rule that excess noise must be stopped after 12am. I think it's normal for people on holiday (or just people in general) to let their hair down once in a while and have a good time (we've all been there), which usually means loud noise after 12am. If the excess noise is every single night to the point where it is affecting everyone else, then something can be done about it. Usually a visit from the Guardia puts a stop to it. I suppose it's a case of live and let live within reason.

As for the license issue, i think this depends on the area in question. However, if someone wants to rent their place legally, there are all sorts of things that must be met in order to do so and obtain that license. If the let is illegal, then the owners really do not want a visit from the police due to excess noise as they will get into a lot of trouble.

As for your friends, next door will soon leave to go back home so happy days.
Roach

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Miguel

Postby qwerty » Sat May 19, 2018 6:34 pm

hi
as someone who lives next door to a holiday rental i cant agree with what roach says
my neighbors house is a holiday rental they personally have never lived in it ,
it was bought solely to let out
so from Easter to September we have holiday makers next door who yes are on holiday but we are not
we both still work so laying in during the week is not an option
if we had known now what we know now we would not have bought it but you know what they say about hind sight
we was told the pool was residents only for a small number of houses on our part of this urb ha ha
not knowing about the holiday rentals and not being told
so yes i could phone the police most nights or tell the owner but by the time they reply its too late the noise has stopped or on one occasion the holiday makers have already gone home so yes there are a few of us here that dont agree with living in the middle of what sometimes feels like Benidorm
qwerty

Postby scubydoo » Sat May 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Unfortunately it is about homework and the problems of community life we lived in one and most holiday lets were OK but there was the odd problem and also the odd problem with idiots that were residents! after spending a few years in the community which enabled us to meet many decent people we move out of the community and its great many nice people and peace!
scubydoo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby TonTri » Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm

On our community, about 1/4 to 1/3 are owned by residents, about 4 owners rent theirs out, the rest which is the majority use them solely for their own or family members holidays. Most of these holidays are during the school holidays and the odd week or so in winter. I would think this is fairly typical of many expat areas of Costa Blanca and southern Spain. The point is these owners are on holiday and even if they own the place and keep it tidy, they are going to be using the facilities and making more noise than an empty property.

Therefore I fail to see the argument, what is the difference between an owner (or their friends and family) using the property for a holiday for themselves or if someone else rents it for a holiday. They are all still on holiday.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby scubydoo » Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 pm

I think the difference is that you treat it like your own home, holiday makers do not! You may have more to drink than normal when you are on holiday but some people loose all sense and reason! Surely you have seen this sort boarding the aircraft? Some people add alcohol = instant ars--le! but of course when you let your property you are not here to see this! Residents are.
scubydoo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby GLASSMAN » Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 pm

i think watching your noise levels is called consideration for others especially your neighbours,but some fail to be considerate towards others no matter what!
with a we're on our holidays sod you attitude, :(
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby qwerty » Sat May 19, 2018 7:55 pm

the previous post obviously didn't read mine
the owner never has nor there family ever stayed there
it is purely for holiday lets a money machine and like i said by the time you report a problem and someone responds as they know the holiday is over sorted !
not long term rentals just one in one out all summer long
and yes i do have neighbors on one side who live there permanently and we hardly hear them at all

So maybe an extra charge for registered holiday rental is a good idea, assuming the extra revenue raised is used to subsidize the residents community fee's that live here all year, thus allowing us to shut our windows and run our air con all day so we can shut out the noise, the blue language and kids screaming.
qwerty

Postby TonTri » Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 pm

scubydoo wrote:I think the difference is that you treat it like your own home, holiday makers do not! You may have more to drink than normal when you are on holiday but some people loose all sense and reason! Surely you have seen this sort boarding the aircraft? Some people add alcohol = instant ars--le! but of course when you let your property you are not here to see this! Residents are.

Oh I have definitely seen that sort, but from their loud conversations on the plane, they are all heading for the all inclusive hotels in Benidorm. Surely those who rent private homes in a quiet residential area are a more responsible sort. Whenever we've rented someone else's property we've always treated it with the same respect as we do our own home. Yes, most people on holiday have more to drink than usual and stay up later talking outside on balconies when most working residents are probably in bed, but surely it is only to be expected in communities where there are more holidaymakers than residents. That said you will find the odd anti social louts making excessive noise everywhere, we do on occasion on summer nights in the UK. And as for those with their car stereos blaring loudly, dont get me started on those!!
TonTri

Postby TonTri » Sat May 19, 2018 8:17 pm

qwerty wrote:the previous post obviously didn't read mine
the owner never has nor there family ever stayed there
it is purely for holiday lets a money machine and like i said by the time you report a problem and someone responds as they know the holiday is over sorted !
not long term rentals just one in one out all summer long
and yes i do have neighbors on one side who live there permanently and we hardly hear them at all

So maybe an extra charge for registered holiday rental is a good idea, assuming the extra revenue raised is used to subsidize the residents community fee's that live here all year, thus allowing us to shut our windows and run our air con all day so we can shut out the noise, the blue language and kids screaming.

Sorry Qwerty I wasnt responding directly to your post, more to the OP's. I honestly dont know what I would do in that situation other than bombard the president to take action against the owners but even then I dont know if there is anything he can do. Not a nice position to be in, you have my sympathies.
TonTri

Next