Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Broadband stability

Broadband stability

Postby Juliehypno » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I have MEGANET aerial broadband at 50mb, which should be plenty to run Skype, FaceTime or fb video conferencing, which I need for my business. But, every session I have done has frozen repeatedly. MEGANET have tested the line and say it’s stable. They also say they don’t think it would be any better if I moved to another property with fibre optic. Has anyone else had these issues? My online video sessions last 1-2 hours. Help?
Juliehypno

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Broadband stability

Postby Lindyloo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes,we are constantly having similar issues and currently have a case open with them. Skype is fine but when streaming video it hangs after two minutes and we are having to reset the connection. However it happens again two minutes later. They don't prioritize any traffic which is necessary for video and voice. Not happy!!
Lindyloo

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Fiesta II

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 pm

50mbps for anything thats not delivered by fibre or 4G sounds very optimistic.
Presumably this aerial broadband is a microwave service via a small dish on the roof?

If so then these systems work on a line of sight basis and are prone to atmospheric interference, so won’t work as well when it’s raining.

Because of the way that Skype works, it’s not really possible for the ISP to prioritise Skype traffic because it uses a randomly assigned port, so a special Quality of Service rule to prioritise Skype won’t work.

If broadband is available then you ought to go for it.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Juliehypno » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. Seems I need to move to another rental ASAP, and one that has fibre optic, as this is affecting my business and livelihood.
Finding an unfurnished long term house, with fibre optic that will allow my dog is going to be a challenge. Any help gratefully received.
Juliehypno

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:24 pm

4G might be worth a try. It can be expensive as it probably won’t have unlimited useage, but maybe cheaper than moving?

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby camionpilot » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Most communities on Dona Pepa are fibrered up by Telfy and Meganet , we went m/net[ 200mb] and in the 3 months we have been using it have had only 2 hiccups ,and that was when they changed banks [ forgot to tell customers ..!! ] and when they upgraded the system around a month ago , system was iffy whilst they changed componets, , now is more stable and more regional content .
Got to remember Spain is around 10/15 yrs behind the UK..!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada