Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Patio door locks

Patio door locks

Postby Tjay » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:40 am

Hello
Can anyone recommend someone who fits better security locks for a patio door.
The door at present has the slide up and down mechanism on the inside. We also have a screw bolt through the middle bar frame. I just wondered if there was a more secure option which isn’t difficult to lock/unlock each time.

Or does new patio doors come with better security locks now?

Thank you
Tjay

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marquesa

Re: Patio door locks

Postby Jan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:57 am

Tjay wrote:Hello
Can anyone recommend someone who fits better security locks for a patio door.
The door at present has the slide up and down mechanism on the inside. We also have a screw bolt through the middle bar frame. I just wondered if there was a more secure option which isn’t difficult to lock/unlock each time.

Or does new patio doors come with better security locks now?

Thank you

Assuming you have a security grill on the patio door as well as the locks you already have, there is a simple extra bit of security you could add easily but depends on if you have the sliding door part internal and not external sliding.

If it's internal you could find a piece of wood (like a broom handle) the correct size of the door sliding slot on the inside and each time you leave the property just place this wood in the slot. This way the door will not open even if all the locks are breeched.
We have this in the UK...our patio doors there are always double glazed so hopefully they are in Spain.

This just gives an extra simple bit of security that costs virtually nothing and is easy to do.

Whatever you do that takes longer for them to get in, all helps.

Hope this helps.

door.jpg

door2.jpg

We actually need new patio doors as ours are old but one of my specifications will be that they are internal sliding - Years ago I remember reading that external sliding doors are easier to break-into as they can be jemmied out from the slider easier.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:56 am

I love Jan’s ideas!

You really do need shutters or grilles of some sort on the outside, as it’s fairly easy to cut around the rubber seals of most double glazed doors/windows and remove the glass. If they do that then no amount of securing the door to the frame will help.

As far as extra locks are concerned, I like this type:
https://www.vikingsecurity.co.nz/products-services/security-bolts.aspx
as they have a long throw and can be used at the top and bottom to secure the door to both the floor and the lintel above the door. If you have persianas above the door then this might not work as well though.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Jan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am

Hi
My idea is only an added extra - I have all the locks possible in the UK as well. Also no door or window in Spain should be without a security grill IMO and no property should be without working smoke alarms to give time to unlock those grills and get out.

These newly built 'state of the art' properties around Quesada have no grills just large grey external shutters and people are moving into them like that..wonder how long before they all start having grills put on...shame when it's after something happens!
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Tjay » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:55 am

Yes I do also have grills fitted.
Thank you all for your help and info.
Tjay

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marquesa

Postby Oliverjane » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:54 am

You can refer to some good locks for sliding glass doors, It works great on the sliders.
Oliverjane

Which part of Spain are you from?: Anchorage

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:57 am

We replaced our patio door with a wonderful bi fold door. Now, we can have our outdoor space as part of our living space. Proper lock on the door now.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby jpeg » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Oliverjane wrote:You can refer to some good locks for sliding glass doors, It works great on the sliders.

jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores