Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Roof windows

Roof windows

Postby Babsfarrand » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:46 pm

I would appreciate some advice regarding the installation of windows on the flat roof of a fortuna style mid terraced house. Ideally I would like roof windows above the hall and bathroom. Does anybody have experience of this kind of thing, or know if it is even possible, and if so can anyone recommend a tradesperson/company who could carry out such work? Many thanks.
Babsfarrand

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: Roof windows

Postby GLASSMAN » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:02 pm

most roofs are a solid concrete slab underneath the tiles,on newer properties since the 70,s
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Janjan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:25 pm

I did wonder why there aren't any Roof Windows. Now I know. Would have loved them in the Bathrooms.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby Babsfarrand » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Many thanks :text-thankyouyellow:
Babsfarrand

Postby The Accountant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 am

A neighbour of ours in Nueva Torrevieja had this done. They had initial problems with sealing, but this was rectified and the end result was very pleasing. I have no idea which builder did it, but yes it can be done.
The Accountant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Janjan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:49 am

When a lot of us lost Roof and Ridge tiles during a small hurricane in Spain we were told the tiles are only for Decoration so no panic. I would check what sort of Roof you have before making any decisions. Unlike the UK where we had a hole in the roof after the big Hurricane that caused a lot of damage.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby Babsfarrand » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Oh wow! Thanks for taking the time to reply guys! So there is a chance it could be done? I know the tiles disguise the fact that the roof is actually flat and I’ve seen a fortuna advertised for sale that had stair case access made from the back bedroom to a ‘solarium’ on the flat roof (not from a balcony). So thought the concrete roof could be cut. Any builders out there who could help or advise?
Babsfarrand

Postby The Accountant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:30 pm

This is taken from Google maps of our neighbours skylight. Quality of photo is not terrific, but you can clearly see the white looking square on the flat part of their red roof. Their neighbour later had one done, which you can see is the smaller white square.
The Accountant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby milor » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Rather than cut a large hole in the concrete slab an alternative method would be to fit a solartube. Lots of different makes, suntunnel, lighttube etc. You only need a 250mm diameter hole cut. I know Solatube have an agent in spain as we looked into this after having one fitted in the UK. The tube can also give ventilation as well as light.
milor

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Babsfarrand » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 pm

:text-thankyouyellow: The Accountant’s picture is exactly what I want, just big enough to let light into the stairway hall. Google earth shows our flat roof is quite large but I can’t upload the pic.
Babsfarrand

Next