Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

The Secret Ciudad Quesada

Re: The Secret Ciudad Quesada

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu May 23, 2019 7:29 am

linkwater wrote:I heard (and so it's probably untrue) that the Quesada family wanted there own town and so put in all the infrastructure (town Hall, Cultural centre, Police station) but it was refused because they had some links to Franco. Maybe it's for the best that one family doesn't have total influence over a town.
I read that somewere too also the links to Franco had something to do with masses of land he acquired ,just cant remember were, also around the Montebello area near the old railway line/station ,theres a suppose to be a mass grave were francos troops massacred opposition factions from the prison camp at Alicante,i,ve been to search to area to see if theres any plaque or such like but cant find anything, futher research required,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Martin the artist » Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 am

GLASSMAN wrote:I read that somewere too also the links to Franco had something to do with masses of land he acquired ,just cant remember were, also around the Montebello area near the old railway line/station ,theres a suppose to be a mass grave were francos troops massacred opposition factions from the prison camp at Alicante,i,ve been to search to area to see if theres any plaque or such like but cant find anything, futher research required,
There was a large concentration camp at San Isidro where the prisoners were brought by train and thousands died there, mainly from dehydration as they were crammed into wooden huts so that they could only stand, and were fed on sardines and given one glass of water every 2 days.
The camp occupied the area to the right of the main road across to the church and down to the railway.
When the war was over, all remains of the camp were destroyed.
But when they were building the new railway, they came across a roughly shaped cross that had been created by an inmate as a reminder.
Recently a Spanish historical group has been trying to put together some info on what was one of the more notorious of Franco's concentration camp & they did find one aerial picture.

(If I can find it I'll post it.)

I have just googled Albatera concentration camp & there's a lot more info about it there now.
And here's a picture.
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Laura » Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm

There is a memorial to the concentration camp near San Isidro, the other side of the train station over the railway line.
Laura
Picture contest entrant
Picture contest entrant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby GLASSMAN » Fri May 24, 2019 9:09 am

thanks Martin, when I was looking for research a few years ago, there was,nt much to be had, but I presume as the old guard die off more becomes available, as the fear of reprisals lessens,
thanks Laura,i knew about the the San Isridor monument,that is to the Albatera camp ,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby Martin the artist » Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 am

Yes, the Albatera camp and the San isidro monument are both the same site :)
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Previous