Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Changing coins

Changing coins

Postby Sunnismif » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 am

Hi all, we seem to have accumulated a lot of loose change while we've been here! Is it the same as in uk where you can go into any bank and change your coins into notes and do you need coin bags or can you just take it in?
Jacky
Sunnismif

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Re: Changing coins

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am

Some banks give you plastic sleeves and you have to divide the coins up. My bank Caixa have you put the whole lot in a big bag BUT charge you 7.50 for the pleasure. Saba dell do it for free at the moment but they will be charging soon. Other than that pay in the self service tills with it bit by bit
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Spiritsmum » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

only an idea but we give ours to charity
Spiritsmum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Roach » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am

Are you talking about the coppers?

Had this problem myself a while back. As Chrisdee said, La Caixa charge 7.50e and they will count it for you at a later date and tell you how much was in the bag lol. Ok if you trust banks and wanted to pay the money. Personally i didn't go down that route as i thought why should i pay for them to count it when i already pay to have the account?

I also tried getting rid of it in the self service tills but noticed most only accepted notes and no change!

After getting fed up of where to shift it, i just gave it to various chairties.
Roach

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Miguel

Postby DTR » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:37 pm

If its coppers give them charity. For all others most bars will change up for you.
DTR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby tonyhobbs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm

I would have thought most bares and shops would take change at 2 or 3 euros a time its legal tender, when we had a shop in UK the banks used to charge us extra for collecting small change from them!
tonyhobbs

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa

Postby Spannygranny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Caixa do not charge, we regularly deposit large amounts of change with them, in the big plastic bag. We count it first, then tell them how much is in the bag, couple of days later the amount is in our account.

Having said that we haven't deposited any for a few months so maybe this charge is new.
Spannygranny

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

i pour mine into the coin slot on the self service tills at the supermarket (usually Alcampo), then pay the balance using my card.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

They never used to charge but they most certainly do now and you can only do it one day of the week, think it's Weds. I tried it about 2 months ago and I only had 130 euros worth and more or less told them to stuff it and they could have my cards back as we never use them and it will save us 48 euros a year. So it's their loss not mine.

Spannygranny wrote:Caixa do not charge, we regularly deposit large amounts of change with them, in the big plastic bag. We count it first, then tell them how much is in the bag, couple of days later the amount is in our account.

Having said that we haven't deposited any for a few months so maybe this charge is new.
Chrisdee

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 pm

If you have to go into the bank at any time would you ask please if there is a charge, as you never know, it could vary from branch to branch, depending on which way the winds blowing and how they are feeling at the time. We are in Spain! The branch in Torre definitely charge.

Spannygranny wrote:Caixa do not charge, we regularly deposit large amounts of change with them, in the big plastic bag. We count it first, then tell them how much is in the bag, couple of days later the amount is in our account.

Chrisdee

Next