Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Tax - vehicle, TV

Tax - vehicle, TV

Postby richardlionheart » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 pm

So wheras in the Uk, you MUST insure a car even if its off the road and registered in UK. Are there any similar requirements in Spain? Im aware there is a requirement for insurance, and the Spanish MOT the ITV, but is there a version of Road Tax?

And what about TV Licence? Is there one, or is that just a UK Govt scam ?
richardlionheart

Location: not cold grey expensive police state UK, thank god.

Re: Tax - vehicle, TV

Postby jpeg » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:34 pm

All vehicles in Spain must be insured even if they are stuck in your garage and have no wheels on that's the law
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Re: Tax - vehicle, TV

Postby marcliff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 pm

1. A car must be insured at all times in Spain and there is no such thing as a SORN.
2. Road tax is the IVTM (Impuesto sobre Vehiculos de Traccion Mecanica) and is set by the municipality, not by the national government. That is why it is different in each locality. Yes, it must be paid each year (around April time) by the person that owns the car on Jan 1st of that year. Whilst the Spanish can be quite slow in picking these things up, if you are caught you can be charged the cost of any missing years, a fine and interest on the road tax. Especially when selling or scrapping the vehicle.
3. There is no TV licence is Spain. Hence the reason every channel will have about 100 adverts every 40 minutes or so. Non-advert TV (and radio) channels are very few and far between (I think only one advert free TV station) are paid for by the government.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2