Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

employment

Use this forum to find jobs or list a job you may have available for someone.

employment

Postby GLASSMAN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:20 am

do you have to be a resident to take up a job in spain?working for someone,
if not ,what are the paperwork requirments,? is it possible to do your self?
if yes ,I guess you have to become a resident then take it from there?
I know the procedure for becoming self employed/ayumento is to see a gestor and they will sort thing outs for you at a price,

thank you in advance for your replies,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Re: employment

Postby marcliff » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:34 am

As anyone who intends to spend 90 days or more in Spain is required to take out a resident card then I should imagine you would have to have it. You would also need to register with the tax office and you can't do that unless you're a resident.

Anyone registering autonomo (self-employed) must register with the tax office and the Social Security office. You can only do this if you have taken out residency.
You can do all this yourself but you would need a good level of Spanish to do so. Also think very carefully about autonomo. You have to pay €265 per month social security payments whether you earn anything or not.
If you do take up work as self employed, you must charge your customers IVA and register it plus tax on your earnings.

So, basically, yes you would need residency to become either employed or self-employed.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby loulou21 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:03 am

I have been registered for tax and social security for 12 years and never once been asked for residentia! When we came our Spanish lawyer told us we did not need to get it as EU law states that after 4 years living in an EU country you automatically become resident.

So no, you do not need to have it to pay tax and social or to get a job. But you do need an N.I.E.
loulou21

Which part of Spain are you from?: Albatera

Postby marcliff » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 am

You mean you haven't registered on the register of foreign EU nationals residing in Spain? This is not the same as residency which is only for non-EU citizens but we mistakenly call call residencia.
Maybe you got away with it 12 years ago but now you won't. How do you do your empadronamiento? Is Albatera the same as Rojales where they give it to non-residents?

The permanent residency is once you have resided in Spain for 5 years, not 4.

From the British Consulate website:
From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. When you register, you will be issued with a credit card size Residence Certificate* stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjero) and your date of registration as a resident.

After you have been registered as a resident for five years, you can apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain. You will be issued with a similar credit card size Residence Certificate, but it will additionally state that you are a permanent resident (residente permanente).

After attending a couple of roadshows with the British Consulate, MPs from the Valencia Region and local mayors, the main point was that, if you a British citizen, you must ensure your paperwork and status is correct before March next year. That is being on the register of EU nationals, padron, driving licences and health cards.
I would suggest, loulou, that if you are a British citizen you should check if you are on the register before March next year to ensure it all goes smoothly. Note that Consulate advice states that you can claim permanent residency status after you have been registered as a resident for 5 years.

*Note that even the Consulate states it is a residence card which it isn't, simply that you are on the register.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2