Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

electric Bill.

electric Bill.

Postby Nikon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:43 pm

please correct me if I am wrong we have just received. a bill from our electric company. but we have been for a month or more. and they have charged us rather strange. we did turn the power of. b4 we left.
Nikon

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: electric Bill.

Postby jpeg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:11 pm

You need to a bit more explicit
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Nikon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:15 pm

jpeg wrote:You need to a bit more explicit

bascily. we have just received a bill from the company. saying we have used electric for the month of aug. well that cant be correct has we turned of the power for the whole of aug. and they billed us 29 euros. ?
Nikon

Postby jpeg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:25 pm

That will be the standing charges you pay them even when switched off
jpeg

Postby Nikon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:28 pm

jpeg wrote:That will be the standing charges you pay them even when switched off

so its 29 euros. standing order. wow. thats expensive. lol
Nikon

Postby jpeg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Think yourself lucky mine is over twice that
jpeg

Postby JohnES » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm

You can tell from your bill if it is a standing charge or not. It should give you the start and stop dates, the initial and final readings and whether they are real or estimated readings. If it is a standing charge only your usage for the period should be zero.
JohnES

Postby marcliff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:47 pm

It's been mentioned several times.
Look at your bill and will tell the amount of power you are contracted for "potencia".
This is normally 5.75KW but could be 3.3 or something different.
Your electricity is supplied by two companies, one for the power being provided and the other for the actual electricity being used. However, in this area, Iberdrola normally does both but is split into provision and usage.
You pay for the contracted power whether you use any electricity or not. Turning the electricity off does not stop the power supply.
You then get charged per Kw contracted at about (don't quote me on this) 11 cents per Kw. If you have 5.75kw power provided then about 63 cents per day. Of course, you then get charged VAT on that (and not the reduced 5% like UK but the full 21%) which adds another 13 cents so you are up to 76 cents a day. Then there is a charge for the meter provision at 2 cents a day (plus VAT) so you are now pushing 80 cents a day. You may also find a green tax has been added and an insurance premium guaranteeing emergency callouts.
We're now up to about 90 cents a day.
If the billing month is 31 days (and can be anything from 27 to 35 days or whenever someone gets round to looking at it) then that becomes about 28 euro for the month.
Of course, once you plug something in you will start paying for the electricity as well.
Just be aware you will pay that 28 or 29 euro every month regardless of whether you are there or not.

Oh, and it works the same for the water as well. In most cases the standing charge and taxes for the water supply will be more than the actual water you use.
Just something to bear in mind when calculating how much to keep in your bank account to pay the bills.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Nikon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:58 pm

marcliff wrote:It's been mentioned several times.
Look at your bill and will tell the amount of power you are contracted for "potencia".
This is normally 5.75KW but could be 3.3 or something different.
Your electricity is supplied by two companies, one for the power being provided and the other for the actual electricity being used. However, in this area, Iberdrola normally does both but is split into provision and usage.
You pay for the contracted power whether you use any electricity or not. Turning the electricity off does not stop the power supply.
You then get charged per Kw contracted at about (don't quote me on this) 11 cents per Kw. If you have 5.75kw power provided then about 63 cents per day. Of course, you then get charged VAT on that (and not the reduced 5% like UK but the full 21%) which adds another 13 cents so you are up to 76 cents a day. Then there is a charge for the meter provision at 2 cents a day (plus VAT) so you are now pushing 80 cents a day. You may also find a green tax has been added and an insurance premium guaranteeing emergency callouts.
We're now up to about 90 cents a day.
If the billing month is 31 days (and can be anything from 27 to 35 days or whenever someone gets round to looking at it) then that becomes about 28 euro for the month.
Of course, once you plug something in you will start paying for the electricity as well.
Just be aware you will pay that 28 or 29 euro every month regardless of whether you are there or not.

Oh, and it works the same for the water as well. In most cases the standing charge and taxes for the water supply will be more than the actual water you use.
Just something to bear in mind when calculating how much to keep in your bank account to pay the bills.

thank you. and very good. so I might has well leave the power on if I am paying for it. or am I still better turning the power of.
Nikon

Postby marcliff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:18 pm

You're better turning it off in case of problems. We always switched ours off when we weren't there permanently. We also used to leave the fridge and freezer doors open as well.
Oh, and don't close the bedroom or wardrobe doors either. Mould is quite a problem here if the room is left unaired for a period of time.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Next