Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Smell from drains

Smell from drains

Postby Angela17 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:19 am

Any help appreciated. I have 3 bathrooms and in 2 of them there is a horrible smell coming from the shower drains.
I have bought a product from Consum that is supposed to get rid of odours from drains but that didn't work. I have also tried bleach, again no joy.
Any other suggestions please?
Angela17

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Smell from drains

Postby Beesknees » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 am

Try some jeyes fluid if not get a plumber to fit. A rubber seal between drain cover and drain pipe
Beesknees

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Jan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 am

Angela17 wrote:Any help appreciated. I have 3 bathrooms and in 2 of them there is a horrible smell coming from the shower drains.
I have bought a product from Consum that is supposed to get rid of odours from drains but that didn't work. I have also tried bleach, again no joy.
Any other suggestions please?

Does this happen when you are there all the time or when /if you leave the house vacant or both?
We had this problem more in the early days of our development and, although it can happen now when we leave the house shut up (particularly in hot weather), we put it down to the toilets not being flushed enough and cleaned after being used by builders and also the drains hardly being used so not much water was going through them.
However it still now occasionally happens in hot summer weather when the house has been shut up and occasionally when we are there but I find that after a day of flushing regularly after cleaning toilet and regularly running water down bidet,shower, baths etc.the house starts to smell fresh again.

There's a little green bottle of toilet perfume in Consum (and probably other supermarkets) that I now put a few drops of down all plug holes and toilets when leaving the property after cleaning and this has seemed to help...it's a nice smell and is on shelf near the toilet cleaners. I also put this down when I'm there every now and again in between cleaning and it makes the house smell nice.

We thought it was a problem with the drains at first but it wasn't so hopefully yours is the same.
Generally it's just stale water and someone mentioned the lack of U bends in Spanish plumbing allows smells to come up.

We never close bathroom/ toilet doors when not being used (or any internal doors) as this allows air to curculate around the house.

Hope this helps.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Janjan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:46 am

Don't panic. It happens all time especially if there are vacant properties nearby and in the hot weather. . There are cheap bottles of Disinfectant in Mercadona that you can just pour down the drain holes. Only about a Euro. We didn't use our downstairs shower and every so often it would smell.
Janjan

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada area

Postby Angela17 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks Jan.
We live here full time but one of the showers (downstairs one) isn't used and that's where most of the smell comes from. I do flush it out once a week but maybe I need to do this more often. Good tip on keeping doors open.
Tried Consum product but didn't help so I think I'll try other ones. Bleach doesn't work. I'm hoping it's just the time of the year as it wasn't bad over the winter but this is our first summer in our house.
Did wonder if smell is bad for your health too but I'm probably being paranoid after what happened to the couple in the Eypyt hotel.
Angela17

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 am

Quite often it smells very 'Spanish' in my parents house, they don't have the same kind of U bends and traps that the UK have and that causes these horrible smells as does not using a bidet often, the water evaporates and you get the smells coming up, Just make sure you flush the bidets and sinks you don't often use.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:56 pm

hi
after our visit last year with house empty we had a bad smell when we arrived.
I then used clingfilm over the toilet bowl and over shower drain and put plugs in sinks, perfecto no smell
i put it down to the U bends water evaporating leaving open to main sewer, so put water on when arrive and flush toilets run taps smell gone
Angela17 try cling film over the downstairs shower drain as a test good luck
Bill

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona pepa

Postby brandyboy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:18 pm

It´s Eau de Alicante, we had a double U bend put in the main drain to the street and the local aroma is no more.
brandyboy

Postby GrahamR » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:29 pm

When we moved into an apartment it was fine for a few months and then we noticed a drainy smell each time we went there. It turned out that the builders were building a couple of new houses just down the hill and closed off our drains for a while. So any new building right near you!
We have only had the problem in the house once and that was because we had not been there for a few months and the water had evaporated in the toilets.
We leave plugs in the sinks, an old jam jar over the shower drains and the plug in the bidet and a cork in the overflow. We turn the water off when we leave. Since then no problems - touch wood!
GrahamR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby cheflady » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi just a thought because we had same prob and we were adament that it was shower then our next door neighbors suggested it was the loo we said no not wet round it he then said if you can get a thin wallpaper stripper underneath then it's the loo and it was hubby went round with silicone it worked no smells! Good luck
cheflady

Next